1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

App. St/Michigan stories: Personal Favorites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Sep 2, 2007.

1. hoopsfor3

hoopsfor3 New Member

Lopresti is OK, but way over-rated as a national columnist. He wrote this one with a media guide and scanning the wires for comments.

2. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

W-S went. All I could find here is today's story: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173352611364&path=!sports&s=1037645509200

3. The NYT moved a story yesterday that was really good ... not sure who it was by.

4. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

Adam Kilgore of the Wash Post wrote a fantastic story from Boone that ran today. It was awesome.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

In the AP folo, I found the positive that at least not very many people saw the game quite amusing.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

You know, there will no doubt be plenty of APSE award winners written on this game. Sometimes, the event just presents something that you have to try hard to fuck up in writing, then a notch or two above normal for you makes that story great whereas you've probably had equally good ones on lesser games.

And you wonder if this had've been a deadline game, how would it have affected various stories?

A lot of circumstances play into great story opportunities.

7. I liked Jim Carty's column/story very much, because it told me something about the backgrounds of the Appalachian State players, putting the upset victory into an even better perspective.

I looked through the Free Press's website and couldn't find anything similar. The NYT's story from campus that ran today was a day late and offered none of the nice little inside stuff that Mr. Carty's story did a day earlier. Nice job, Jim.

8. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I can say which story isn't my favorite. The SI story this week has two bad typos or errors: Says App. State plays at "Kid Brewer Stadium" and calls this week's opponent "Lenoir-Rhyme". Maybe this story had to be done in a hurry, but still pretty bad for those to slip through. Also, if I remember correctly, a verb agreement error in the same sentence with "Kid Brewer." That kind of ruined my enjoyment of the story.

The wire moved a pretty interesting story on Notre Dame's loss to Carnegie Tech if any of you had a chance to read it.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Barnhart's piece in the AJC was good. Saw something on the AP wire today that sucked monkey balls. Haven't read Carty's column yet but I'm about over Appy.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard the Michigan radio call of the blocked field goal? I've heard App State's but I'd love to hear the Michigan pbp reaction.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It probably went someting like this.
    He lines up for the kick. This should end the upset, he's been accurate from this distance.
    And the snap is good, clean hold ... HOLY FUCKING SHIT, OH SWEET FUCKING BABY MERCIFUL CHRIST THE KICK WAS BLOCKED, THE KICK WAS MOTHERFUCKING BLOCKED. OH DEAR BABY JESUS WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US WE LOST, WE LOST TO APPALACHIAN STATE OH MY GOD HOW WE ARE GOING TO SUCK THIS SEASON. I CAN'T BEAR TO LIVE ...
    The sound of a single gunshot is heard and the color guy says, "back to Jim in the studio for the post-game show."

12. Breaking from Tradition, I skipped Rick Reilly and the Leading Off photos in my Sports Illustrated this week to read the Appalachian State-Michigan story. ... Now I remember why I said what I said before.

"There are two great things about Sports Illustrated: Rick Reilly and the Leading Off photos, it's what is in between that is crap."

Thanks again SI for one crappy-ass job of totally blowing a phenomenal story. That story was embarrassing. What a joke SI has turned into. I swear I wouldn't subscribe to it if it weren't for Reilly.

They suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted