1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apologizing for a minor faux paux

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This afternoon, I was in a gas station buying something to drink. It's a place I visit regularly.
    The area around the register is fairly cramped and sometimes it's difficult to move around when there are four or five people in the store.
    I accidentally bumped into a woman, an older woman about 60s or 70s. I didn't seem to hurt her. As I always do when I do something like that, I apologize. I waited for the customary acceptance of said apology and after a second or two she said, "Well, move!"
    At that point, I let her have it, saying "I apologized. What is your problem?"
    She replied "Shut up," then headed out the door. As I left the store and headed to my car, she drove by and honked at me.
    Obviously, I didn't bump into on her purpose. I obviously didn't hurt her, so no harm, no foul. I was wrong for doing so, but I did say I was sorry. In such a situation, isn't it customary for the person who was bumped into to accept the apology, saying something like "It's OK"?
    I apologized. Why couldn't she accept that?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Maybe she's an asshole. Maybe you need to move on and forget about it.

Or, both.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

First, fix the "faux pas" in the thread title.
    Then get over it. Life is too short to let shit like that bother you.

4. Smallpotatoes

Just a pet peave of mine. When I appologoize to somebody, they should accept it.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Go punch someone, then apologize. See what happens.

6. Smallpotatoes

There's a difference between accidentally bumping into somebody and punching somebody on purpose.
    Sorry you can't see that.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your attitude shows in your post. You think apologizing should solve whatever any problem simply because it's an apology. Perhaps you were insincere and not really sorry -- which you proved by acting like a jerk afterwards instead of apologizing again. Maybe you scared the woman because if you knock her down and she breaks her hip, it's curtains.

You bump into an old woman and she doesn't bow down to you because you apologized. Why don't you fight her?

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

She was there to rob the store.

You drew attention to her, blew her cover, and screwed up her plans.

No wonder she's pissed.

You're lucky that you didn't get shot.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Since when did acceptance of an apology or forgiveness become automatic? If someone does something unpardonable to me, ain't no apology on Earth gonna be good enough.

That said, she was indeed the one in the wrong. Let it out (which you've done) and let it go.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can I punch someone too?

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'd just assume she was having a really bad day and leave it at that. Who knows, maybe she was coming home from having radiation treatment, or heading to the mortuary to plan her husband's funeral. And it was easier to be nasty to a stranger than someone she knew.
    You only have control over your own behavior, and you did the right thing.

12. Smallpotatoes

I did not do it on purpose. I was in the wrong. I knew it. I appologized. All I wanted was a simple "It's OK."

Draft saved Draft deleted