1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APME respondant: Love it or leave it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, May 13, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know this guy. Never met him, but I know him. The kind of guy who probably has a framed picture of Royko on his wall, an old typewriter in his office (that he never uses), and he probably has framed copies of famous editions of newspapers (that he never worked on). I sure hope he'll let us know when journos can stop loving what they do and not be the best. And really, if being the best was that important to the paper, why would they let that guy anywhere near the front door. A cat in a tree? Whoa.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Crap. You just described my last two MEs.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I think that's standard ... all douche bag bosses have to have old typewriters in their office. I worked for one such prick once upon a time.

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

After reading the cat-in-the-tree story, I'd say fuck Bea Arthur and Estelle Getty with Eric Petermann's dick.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Don't know why it strikes me just this way, but one of the best posts I've ever read here.

7. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

Yes, Freeport ME is tool for saying what he said. But what struck me about the article is that they had a couple of respondents from GateHouse papers (Freeport and Canton) and that the term hyper local reared its ugly head again.

Are we still sticking with that hyper local crap as an industry, or is this just a Gannett thing. And how's the hyper local thing working out for newspapers.

If all of us would just do our jobs by covering Little League and getting names in the paper, shouldn't all of our shops be circulating millions of copies by now, or would just the local weekly rule the world?

So lets all get out there and cover the youth sport of your choice. Who's with me?

Draft saved Draft deleted