1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartments!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

So on these fabulous boards, I've discussed many a time of me moving, getting a new job, being a snowboard bum, taking time off...but, I've sticking it out for at least a half of a year in my current gig. Having said that, I'm doing some apartment shopping and I'm going to be honest, I have yet to find anything *decent*.

But low and behold, just the other day I came across this nice victorian-esque house. Pretty large one-bedroom apartment, nice bathroom, huge bedroom, and it includes everything in the rent: gas, electric, water, garbage, sewage, appliances. It's in the middle of the two jobs I have and in a pretty nice area. It's almost too good to be true.

Some areas that concern me:
    The bottom part of the house is rented to a woman who is just retiring. However, she's pretty outgoing and energetic. She does all of the landscape, by landscape I mean the flowers and such, around the house. She's nice and all but I don't know how nice she'll be when I have six or seven people over for cards, drinking, movies...
    No high-speed internet availabiality. I'm a dork, I need the internet.

Other than that, it's a sweet place.
    Everything else I've looked at is either too expensive (on my pay) or too far from where I want to live.

I've been looking in any classified paper I can, checking out houses for signs and still can't find anything.

What's the secret?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Soundproff walls and a swimming pool pretty much did it for me.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

how can there be no internet available? neither the phone nor cable company provides DSL or high-speed?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of looking for a place right now.
    It's a drag.

5. Madhavok

I should have been more specific. Neither the phone nor the cable companies can provide DSL or cable because the apartment is in the sticks. Well not actually, it's a small town and one would figure high-speed would be available...

There is another place I'm considering but it is way too expensive for my liking.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the connection is a dealbreaker, can you get some kind of cellphone hookup that wouldn't be too costly?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I, too, am searching for a new place to live. I'm hopefully going to be moving from Lexington to Frankfort so I can be closer to work. I haven't had much luck yet, but I did find a few places within my price range today. Two of those are one bedroom places and the other is an efficiency. Every one I've checked out by phone has all utilities included, but I didn't ask about internet service. I'll have to call them and ask tomorrow or sometime.

I hate looking for apartments.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Apartment-hunting -- I've done my share of it in the past year -- really blows.

I don't know if "in the sticks" puts you remotely close to any population centers, but I suggest you try Craigslist. They just started a whole bunch of boards for smaller markets a few weeks back -- places such as State College and western Massachusetts even have their own CLs now. Go that route, since it's likely you'll find something better and more chill on there than in the paper.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Right now I'm just hoping to find a dumpster that has an outdoor outlet nearby.

10. Madhavok

No, I live in the sticks and by sticks, we're talking a 30-minute drive to the nearest big grocery store, cinema home depot... There is a Craigslist for the big city that's an hour away but it really doesn't work for us. All of the towns around me are pretty much hooked up in regards to DSL or cable internet. It just so happens the town I might move to isn't wired. Since my home town is a resort town, anything there is too expensive for a sports writer like myself. The town where the paper is a complete shit hole and could'nt pay me to live there.

I could deal without the internet I guess...and there is a way to use your cell via usb to get internet access and a few ways around for actually paying for it. It has worked for me in the past.

I've also checked out efficiencies but those are too small. I'm a people person, I like having people over and those are just toooooo small for me.

11. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I, too, am in apartment searching HELL. While my husband looks for a job in the town where I work, part-time mind you, I get the luxury of finding a townhouse or an apartment that isn't as god-awful as the place we're living in now and that is actually affordable. The first two bedroom I looked at smelled like cats, couldn't open the refrigerator and the place had screaming kids above. I have two cats and even my place doesn't smell like a litter box.

I don't think I could deal without the internet either, or even cable either. I feel your pain.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never, ever get a bottom apartment.. ever.
    The person above you will either have kids who run or step heavily -- much like you would to the person below you if you were on the top floor...

Draft saved Draft deleted