1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment choice assistance, please? (Dark Horse appears on Page 5)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Apartment choice assistance, please?

I would go with No. 2 and not wash your clothes.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cheaper is always the way to go these days. Unless safety is an issue, I'd go with the cheaper place.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

EStreetJoe makes a good last point (well, the others are good, too) about move-in deals. If you're planning to stay more than a year, make sure that you can afford the jump in rent for the second year. If they're giving you some great incentive in that first year, be sure you can afford what the regular rent will be, plus allow for an increase. There can be real sticker shock if you've gotten a sweet deal for year one, with a few hundred dollars off per month, only to get slapped with a $500/month increase for year two.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd go for 2) for this: "Closer to small shops/delis/parks/etc. Sunroom with a ton of windows to enjoy the view/nice days"

In my opinion living a one minute walk from a big box shopping centre is a reason NOT to chose 1).

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I would strike out the "closer to nightlife" or "close to box stores" considerations. If they're both 5 minutes from the office, then they're 10 minutes apart, yes?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right, JR. But I'm not asking where YOU'D live. And my affinity for Walmart is well known.

It's not a discounted rent as the move-in deal, it's a month free. So with prorated rent for April, plus deposit and pet fee, I'm in the door for less than $800 at No. 1. With May free. So $780 or so gets me 5.5 weeks of living.

At No. 2, It's the rent plus a month's deposit, then I owe again like a week and a half later.

And jlee, no. They're not opposite directions.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have much advice -- no Wal-Mart's anywhere near where I live -- except that Yogi Berra once said, when you come to a fork in the road, take it. Your choice should be clear.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

So the farthest walk from work is 5 minutes, and one is closer than the other? Then location really shouldn't be a factor, imo.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Walk?

No.

Also, location is a big deal. One place I'm removed from nightlife, but my daily needs shopping is nearby. The other, I'm closer to cute delis/restaurants/cafes/etc., but have to drive to the store.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

#1. That balcony is like having an extra room....that and the laundry and the bigger bath/kitchen would do it for me. You'll use the bathroom and kitchen more than you'll use the cute delis and shops.

It's your home, you have to be comfortable there.

And when someone tells me 'everyone knows everyone here,' I run the other way.

Also, you might pay a little less for #2 but would you actually save the money or just spend it anyway?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Find a favorite bar. Pick the place within stumblin' distance of said bar.

E-mail locations and I can better advise. Laundry is indeed a key factor, but Ace's advice is excellent.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Moddy, if nothing else, we're all discovering why Ace can't get on at the Plain Dealer.

IJAG, if debt paydown and continuing to work toward that goal is still primary, go with the cheaper place as long as the cheaper place won't leave you with buyer's remorse. Keep working toward that goal, but don't get too sucked in by the bars, restaurants, et al, or the money you aspire to save will be spent before your checkbook realizes it.

Draft saved Draft deleted