1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment choice assistance, please? (Dark Horse appears on Page 5)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: Apartment choice assistance, please?

First, make sure there aren't any drug dealers living near you {cross-thread}.

When I moved into my first apartment after college, it was about $75 a month more than several other places that I had saw, but it was much nicer and cleaner. I was worried about the extra money, but my mom advised me that since I was going to be spending a lot of time there, that I might as well pay the extra and be happier.

Now, I knew I wasn't going to live there forever, so I knew it was only a temporary thing (I was there for a little more than a year).

Ultimately, it boils down to how long are you going to be living there. If you are planning on years and years, you might want to take the cheaper place to save the money. If you're looking to move again fairly quick, you might as well take the more expensive place.

This logic can also be reversed, if you're looking to save money for short term or want a nicer place for the long-term.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, I would think it was the exact opposite. If I were going to be living somewhere for only a year, I'd take the cheaper place, save some money up, then pay for a good place I planned in living in for a while.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did either of your people take pictures of the potential places?

4. imjustagirl

They did, but I have not received the pics yet. Just detailed phone calls. :)

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can all your stuff fit in the smaller spot?

6. imjustagirl

I don't have a lot of stuff. I'd have to sell my w/d either way, then I just have a couch, computer desk/chair, entertainment center, coffee table. Bedroom: Queen bed, chest of drawers, grandma's vanity and a side table.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Then go cheaper, smaller and in a trendier (it sounds like) building and part of town.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

So it's been kind of like calling a sex hotline for apartments.

Hopefully the payoff is just as rewarding and you're not angry with your choice [/way-back machine] [/If you can't make fun of yourself, who can?] [back to your regularly-scheduled thread]

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I vote for option no. 2.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. "
    I wanna know, which is it? :)

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you can fit your stuff comfortably in No. 2, then go for that to save money.

* Even if the box stores are walking distance from No. 1, odds are you're going to be buying more than you can comfortably carry home so you'll be driving anyway.
    * I'm assuming that the box stores will generate alot of traffic near apartment No. 1 while it doesn't seem like there's a major traffic generator like that near No.2.
    * Do both units include utilities (water, electric, gas) or do you pay utilities separate?
    * Remember with the laundry, if the washer/dryer in No. 1 aren't energy efficient, then the cost of running them will make up part of the difference with that $20-$25 you anticipate spending on the coin-operated machines.
    * What level of cable is included with No. 2 - just a basic package or is it something a little more?
    * Would getting your own cable/internet/phone package deal at No. 1 cost less than just internet and phone at No. 2?
    * Which has the better move-in deals? (Would the move-in deal on No.1 , if they're offering one, be enough to offset a year's worth of higher rent payments?)

Draft saved Draft deleted