1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What is everyone's opinion on AP not doing wire queue's anymore and putting everything on line? Seems to me agate is going to be a nightmare since the tabs don't hold when you download or copy and paste from the Web site.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I second that question....

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We were told today by our ME, that AP will be going totally online within 3-6 months and that an AP representative will be visiting every newspaper in the next two months to go over what papers will need to make this work.

4. eyecu

eyecu Member

Interesting.

I agree, agate tabs will take forever if they go online. That is unless they make a download program that integrates the tabs.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I don't buy it.

May be just your paper. But too many papers will cry foul if AP does this, and demand they pay for software upgrades, as they've all spent thousands of dollars on software to properly work with AP wire.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Haven't heard a thing, but I damned well will be asking ...

7. ARD

ARD Member

No way. It would be an IT nightmare, and newspaper executives would be outraged. And imagine AP's trying to support the jillion proprietary editing and pagination programs and hold their users' hands through a switch this radical.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It's also a matter of redundancy. If your wire crashes, you still have the Web site (which is a pain in the ass, but better than nothing). If they go completely online and you have an Internet outage or a hacker attack, you'd be shit out of luck.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i haven't heard a word about this, either.

although if it is true, a few folks who do the agate page at my paper will probably quickly forget the old 'don't kill the messenger' adage when the AP rep walked through our door.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's a trick with Simple Text that will fix that shit, but it is gruelling work. If there is a hell, its residents are required to put together agate pages by formatting raw text from YourAP.org.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no lee, that's YOUR ap dot org, not mine. they can keep that damned site and continue giving us copy as they do now.

Draft saved Draft deleted