1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Yankees sign Pettitte

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Word.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It must kill Boras that the Yankees did this before he could sucker someone to overpay for Zito. No way he can lie about the Yankees being interested at exhorbanant prices and thus seek to bid up Zito's contract.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

Thanks Yanks...Astros don't need him. Take Roger too to add to your older than Yankee Stadium lineup.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

THEN Roger Clemens should die.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Let the Taylor Bucholz era begin!

Until he gets traded for some "established" right-hander who puts up a 4.50 ERA in the national league. But, no, that extra 2 mil wouldn't have been worth it.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Andy Pettitte, $16 million
    Jason Schmidt, $15+ million per
    Gil Meche, $12 million per
    Ted Lilly, $11 million per

Bor-ass doesn't need anyone to bid up the price on Zito. The insane market already has taken care of that for him.

The Mets will give Zito $17-18 mill per ... the only question is years. When Bor-ass gets off 6 or 7 years, the Mets will make the deal (preferrably for 4 years + an option).

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good one. This is the first time in my life I have apparently met an Astros fan, so Houston doesn't need him huh? Sure, the Astros have Oswalt and after that, who do they have? I am not saying this signing will lead the Yankees to the World Series, but it is a better signing for the Yankees than it is a better loss for the Astros.
    Sorry, but Houston's offense, which scores approximately 1.1 runs a game, just won't be able to handle the Astros pitching staff this season. Sorry.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I heard that Phil Simms (of all people) said on WFAN radio in New York today that he talked to Joe Torre today out in San Diego and Torre said some good news was coming out of Yankee land in the next day or two. Simms then said he couldn't tell the audience what it was yet. What the hell good did that do us?!

"I have a scoop, but [cue the "Don't Say A Word" girl]] I'll never tellllll!"

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what it is -- Clemens coming back to NYC, a shocking Zito signing? Those were about the only two I could hazard a guess at.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Mets will trade the store for Willis before they give $17M a year top Zito, who is a lightweight compared with Schmidt.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

How is Zito.... age 27, lifetime winning percentage .618, lifetime ERA 3.55, a lightweight compared to schmidt... age 34 next month, lifetime winning percentage .585 lifetime ERA 3.91?

Good god you're a moron.

12. Jason Schmidt - 71-36 with a 3.36 ERA over the past 5-years

Barry Zito - 78-51 with a 3.63 ERA over the same period (and that includes Zito's 23-5 season with a 2.75 ERA where he won the Cy Young). There are about equal as pitchers but obviously Zito is younger and a better risk on a long term contract.

And Columbo is a moron. Spnited - why do you bother to respond to him?

Draft saved Draft deleted