1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. A 33-inch story on the retirement of Tim Curley, president and CEO of the AP.

He'd been president for nine years. Thirty-three inches? With quotes from Dean Singleton?!

Whatever.

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Well, Singleton is chairman of the AP board. The story would look pretty silly without trying to reach him, even if it is 33 inches.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

And the thing that I always hated about Curley is that he always preached cuts, cuts, cuts. But he loved playing photojournalist and gave himself sweet photo assignments, such as shooting opening ceremonies of the Olympics, or the womens' gymnastics podium shot, and even World Cup soccer matches. And of course, the wire was obligated to move his crap. I never understood why AP had to pay his bill to send him to news assignments around the world when there were actual journalists who were better qualfied to actually do the work.

Not sorry to see him go.

4. JingleBells

JingleBells New Member

I have never heard of Curley before. At any rate, it's not like you have to use all 33 inches. I, personally, wouldn't put it in my paper if I worked at a paper. Doesn't seem newsworthy to this journalist.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Personally, doodah, your opinion on this -- and anything else -- doesn't really mean a shit.

6. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

33 inches?
    Have you read Doug Ferguson's stuff?
    Are you sure you got the optional?
    There might be more on the way.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At least with Ferguson there's always the suspense of waiting how long it takes him to mention Tiger ...

8. But Tiger I have heard.
    Tiger is of interest. The AP president? YAWN. 33 inches of YAWN.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or who's actually leading the damn tournament and by how much.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

TOM Curley. You paid attention to the inch count but not the guy's name?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Spit. Take.

Draft saved Draft deleted