1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP to announce NFL awards Super Bowl eve on NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 3, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's on your wire if you still have AP. Hey, times is tough in the media biz, but why can't I help but think AP is selling out its membership here just for the TV folks?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How so? They already do the awards, so it isn't as if there's a new conflict. And the dissemination of the award isn't of much note these days anyway. Hopefully they got a good chunk of change for it is my only reaction.

Those award shows are cool. Way better than baseball's way of dribbling the info out.

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

well, the announcements won't make 2 of the 3 papers i lay out daily...deadlines and all being a tad bit earlier than the time frame of the show...

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So will Canzano have a column about the AP getting better access than him?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Will AP be getting more than they get in member dues? Yes, they likely get more exposure on TV, even on Saturday, but as has been noted, it may not make a lot of papers, and since we don't have a Sunday, it definitely won't make ours.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why do I sense another Garry Marshall movie coming out of this?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Many years ago, the BBWAA and MLB were discussing having a postseason awards presentation television show for all the awards, but nothing came of it. I thought it was a good idea.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Scott Boras still pushes for it. They started moving a little bit that way with the announcement on MLB Network.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember when Boras came out with that idea. It was a very good marketing ploy wrapped in the horrifically bad marketing ploy of having the World Series start with two games at a warm-weather neutral site so they could set up the party atmosphere beforehand.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

LTL, by the time I heard about the idea, it had morphed into a November TV show presentation held in Vegas, which was more sensible, if a TV awards show can ever be described with that word.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The BBWAA has agreed to announce its awards on live MLB Network shows, starting next year. The awards -- rookie, manager, Cy Young and MVP -- will be announced on successive days during one week in November.

12. OK, I actually like this idea, especially if they bring in the top candidates like the Heisman Trophy does. Makes it an event worth covering if you have somebody in the running.

Draft saved Draft deleted