1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Stylebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt L., Mar 4, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jeremy, it's funny that you pointed that out. Because, prior to finishing the sentence, I thought, "Should this 'B' be capitalized? No. I'm not talking about the Bible." There are so many little things like that, it's amazing. That's part of the reason I'm in love with this profession.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yeah: "The AP Stylebook is my bible when it comes to writing."

BUT: "I misplaced my Bible the other day. Not like I'll need it or anything."

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mike, this AP style business gets me in trouble too when I do some side magazine work or when I once helped edit a book. I write everything in AP style, right down to personal e-mails. So I understand the issue.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I once had a student of mine say, "Wow, you even talk in AP style." It was quite flattering.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's good to know I'm not alone, sir.

My ex-girlfriend, also a journalist, sent me a Christmas card a couple years ago: "Whether I am on 'Christmas number 3' or 'Christmas number 19,' I will be thinking of you with a smile. Is it bothering you that I didn't write that in AP style? It's making me nuts. So, I'm going to hurry up and close this card. I'll just let you suffer. It's my gift to you."

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

wow. she should know it's # 3 not number 3. No. wonder she's an ex.

who knew AP style could be this much fun?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd buy a new card. And I'm not joking. Going back to Mr. Ridgeway's predicament: I can take misspelling a name or writing happy birthday instead of happy anniversary because my personality is fueled by errors, and everyone I'd ever write a card to knows that and enjoys it. I'm no longer embarrassed by that. But if I accidentally wrote "number 3," I'd have to throw away the card, drive to the store and start the process again. I honestly couldn't send something, knowing there's a style mistake in it.

8. forever_town

And she should have written the number three out rather than the numeral. The exception is ages.

No girl who purports to know AP style and fucks that up is good enough for you, Preppy. You're better off with Rosie and her five sisters.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was it her first annual card?

10. forever_town

The UPI Stylebook will fuck anything that moves. And it fucks on the first date!

It makes desperate look prudish!

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No, sir. I believe that was the fourth annual card.

And, F_T, it should have been "Christmas No. 3." When it's a ranking or a seed or part of a numbered list, it's written in a numeral -- like No. 9 Duke. That, ages, percentages and ratios are a few of the exceptions.

12. forever_town

Ah. I am full of AP Stylebook fail today.

Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted