1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP style question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Computer Says No, Jan 22, 2007.

1. We have an English columnist who has the word "learnt" in his latest piece. I've seen this variation on "learned" before, but I'm not sure if it's AP style or not. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Doesn't sound like AP style, although if it's a word, it's a word. Might want to ask the copy desk. It might be an issue of local style.

3. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Or open a dictionary. Look under the AP style entry for dictionaries if you want to follow AP style to the letter.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

you're insightful.

5. The Commish

The Commish Guest

The stylebook can't tackle everything. And the entry on dictionaries outlines an accepted book and how to decide which word to use. From the question, it sounded like advice that was needed.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What I would have done.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You said he was English. "Learnt" is probably accepted usage over there; they use a lot of what we consider archaic forms such as "whilst" and "amongst".

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And besides, it's a column. Within broad paramaters, he should be able to have his own "voice" without having it edited down to a fine powder.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The dictionary says it is "chiefly Brit."

I'd let it go. Let him be English.

And, with your screen name being a "Little Britain" reference, you should be OK with it, too.

10. Darn English, first he's going to use learnt, then he's going to want to start driving on the left side of the road. I say let him. That'll learnt him.

Seriously, if it's a column I'd give it a reluctant yes. Otherwise no. Has he tried using "colours" yet? Or a Royale with cheese? Or, "bloody good show." That's about as far as my knowledge of the Queen's English goes. Long live the Queen, and Freddy Mercury.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It's called a Quarter Pounder in the UK. I think it's a Royale in France.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

France, England.
    Its all the same to middle America

Draft saved Draft deleted