1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP story on Robinson's first game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Apr 11, 2007.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised the AP didn't send a staff writer to Brooklyn that day. Guess Ronald Blum was busy chasing the Yankees. ;)

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Actually, the Dodgers uniforms (at least, the white ones) are relatively unchanged.
    Come to think of it, the only difference on the Braves' jerseys would be "Atlanta" instead of "Milwaukee."
    They've got two of the more timeless unis in the majors.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The Braves were still in Boston in '47.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who is this jackie robinson chap they speak of?

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Despite some disturbing images in the second paragraph, pure brilliance.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The April 16, 1947 edition of the Sporting News leads with Leo Durocher getting suspended. There's a box on the front page - the headline: Jackie Robinson Gets Chance With Flatbush Group. (subhed) Likely to See Service as Pinch Runner

There is a note way down in the story about how the Dodgers had to train in Havana because of Robinson (due to the Jim Crow laws in the south and Florida) and how much extra it cost the team. It left the team $50,000 in red ink, so says the article. Then this line: "It will be an indelible mark that baseball will never forget."

The April 23 issue, which had coverage of the opener, makes no mention on the front page (more Durocher; an upcoming Babe Ruth Day at Yankee Stadium).

On Page 3, though, there was a blowout on Robinson. If you a have Paper of Record account (and it's free, so I'd suggest it anyway), here's the page:
    http://www.paperofrecord.com/paper_view.asp?PaperId=834&iDateSearchId={A1E49444-A11A-49DC-A296-871AB790FBFB}&iZyNetId=&PageId=7747178&Show=GetPage&iOrder=2&iOrderDir=0&iCurrentBlock=1

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Goddammit, I'm an idiot. Serves me right for PWI

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought Eddie Robinson when I read the thread title.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for posting the link. Haven't had a chance to surf PoR lately.

I second the notion that it's a great resource (and FREE!, as of two months ago), especially for Sporting News archives.

Draft saved Draft deleted