1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: "Selected" from the Minors, not "Called Up"; Why?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Google "selected the contract of." It's right there.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

An official with the Associated Press says if you don't like the way they do things, subscribe to somebody else's service. :D

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

"Selected"? "Identified"?

Sounds like another onslaught of PC-type speech, although I couldn't tell you what the political angle is here.

Similar deal in covering the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, when they refer to soldiers being "injured" instead of "wounded". That seems just as ridiculous.

AP arbitrarily changing language whether we like it or not. Sounds Orwellian to me.

4. The reason a player on the 40-man roster is ``recalled'' is because technically he has been up. To be on the 40-man roster and to be in the minor leagues means you had to be optioned from the big leagues to the minors, even if it was during spring training. That's why it doesn't fit the style guidelines but I always figure the reader best understands it if you simply say a player was called up from the minor leagues. If more detail is needed and you are provided space you can do into detail about whether he was on the 40-man or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted