1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP score center

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 25, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

imagine how miserable it would be to work at the AP score center.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We've had similar problems with the AP score center. They ask for games not in the area, they get school names wrong, etc.

The worst part is, they also do the tabulating of the votes for the weekly prep football poll. Last year, they did a top 10 in each class, then in the Others Receiving Votes category, ranked those teams 11, 12, etc.

One of my layout people missed that the first week. One of our area teams was receiving votes, but not in the top 10. Some parent called up complaining that in one of our game stories we didn't say the school "was ranked 15th." It took me 10 minutes to explain they really weren't ranked, they were only getting votes.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're not kidding. Oh...my...God.
    I would fray an electric cord and stand in a puddle of water.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The guy I dealt with was always pretty cool, plus he talked shit about one of our rival newspapers because they refused to send out city scores because they didn't want other papers in the state to get them.
    I just e-mailed as the night went on and they didn't usually call us that often.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Last night was my first dealing with them. Didn't seem too bad, except they seemed baffled as to why I would be calling in scores of Louisiana teams from a paper in Mississippi -- even though our private schools organization has members in Louisiana -- and then politely declined to take the score.
    And later they gave me the random phone call about five or six games that were nowhere near our area. That was a fun use of precious deadline minutes.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree with FCE.

Everyone on the desk seems to groan when the phone rings after deadline because we all know it's AP Score Center.

I actually enjoy picking up the phone and getting them to pronounce things incorrectly.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Our state association has an online scoreboard (http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb6) that coaches are required to call or get fined We never get a call from the AP Score Center unless the scoreboard doesn't have it.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit man, count yourself lucky.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

You won't have to mess with it this year. No way could they chase down the 600 or so games that are played in Texas every weekend.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is a brilliant idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted