1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP score center

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 25, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Anybody had any dealings with them?

We had a call from them last night in NE Mississippi, where we had a couple of games, and the guy told me they're located in Seattle and are handling prep scores for 32 or 33 of the state bureaus this fall.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Oddly enough, they don't handle Washington.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

They're generally pretty good to deal with. If you e-mail them the scores as you get them, saves for having to deal with their calls later on.

That said, I wish we could give AP a specific list of what schools we cover. Without fail, they ALWAYS call looking for scores we don't have and don't care about. Which is part of their job I guess, but not always real easy to deal with on Friday night deadlines.

And I thought they were in Spokane, not Seattle. Could be wrong on that.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I think you're right about them being in Spokane.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Seattle, Spokane, it's all the same. [/eastcoastbias]

:D

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If they told me Spokane and I came up with Seattle by mistake, apologies. I do know the difference.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hey, do we work at the same place? :D

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Nah dude, merely a joke for joke's sake.

GD, maybe it's something worth taking to AP. Not that it'd get anywhere...

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is as good a place as any.

I called AP, because they didn't send a fucking Twins-White Sox lede, and I kind of needed it for the front page, and I swear I woke up whoever answered.

He said, "Let me find the light."

This was an 800-number call to god knows where. How the fuck did I wake someone up?

10. FCE

FCE Member

man, the ap score center is the source of much hilarity.

like when they enlighten us with new ways to say the names of the local cities.

or when they call us for scores from games 5 hours away from us.

or when they have "a few games" they're looking for ... then proceed to rattle off 52 games.

or when they run "Podunk 28, TBA 0," which they did tonight

i love them.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god - i can only hope they come to my state.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

One of their guys sent me a list of schools they thought were handled by us and asked me to mark the schools we dealt with and give them suggestions as to who would cover the others. I send them a running e-mail on Friday nights with scores as we get them, so we get very few calls from them unless they have a conflict.

Draft saved Draft deleted