1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP rudeness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree. I just remember people from Spokane always calling my paper and asking for scores for teams that were nowhere near us and always mispronouncing all the names because they lived in Washington, 6 hours away.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I think I've had to call New York once or twice. It wasn't that bad, but I've heard tales of their rudeness in the past.

In stark contrast, the AP bureaus in the two states where I've worked on the desk couldn't have been nicer. Not just courteous ... nice.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

new york -- photogs excluded -- have always been a buncha pricks when i've called. now, i simply start busting hump once the conversation begins and don't allow the shoe to drop.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have been around and around and around with the AP over the years. What I wouldn't give for one week in charge there.

Still, I have found most of the people who I deal with, especially on the service desk, to be reasonably helpful. The agate guys seem attitudinal, but then I think about the agate guys I worked with at USAT and the AP guys probably have good cause for being that way.

As I type this, I realize that when I call there and get a woman on the phone, it's usually a more pleasant interaction. And that's a pretty good sample size for me by now.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

People in New York ... rude ... NOOOOOOOOO!

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I consider myself lucky. I called my new state AP office for the third time in two months and if they didn't remember me, they sure faked it well. Then again, this is a very small new state.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

new hamshire split into north and south?

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Nah. Prince Edward Island, split East/West.

Actually, I'm out west, where the states are big, but there's no big-time hurry.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You know, I hated when nice deskers on deadline called me at AP, wanting to know when something would run out of NY. I had absolutely no power over it and no clue when anything would run.

I understand that most people in the local buros are nicer than the folks in NY, but calling them first adds a middle man and therefore more time not only to getting the agate in question, but it also forced me to stop whatever I was working on to answer the phone, get the information and then turn around and call NY to ask. So another item ran behind schedule, too.

And no, AP staffers in buros aren't treated differently than any other caller.

So glad I'm out of it now.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Holiday weekend.

Either third-strong, not happy to be there, or both.

I suggest developing a relationship with the local office.

Call them off-deadline and talk to the bureau chief.

Hartford was always good to us and willing to call New York.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

But like KJIM said, the local guys have no clue what's up with the NBA standings. I'd rather cut to the chase and call the assholes in NYC. There's no reason for them to be rude, esp. when they're the ones who have been sitting on something for an hour.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, we pay for their service. in my book, they should ask if we want fries with the nba standings as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted