1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP reporter tweets Raiders coach fired, except he wasn't

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I wonder if this development will somehow find its way to the painfully self-serving blog of the AP's "standards editor," under a "Great Whiffs" heading.

http://blog.ap.org/2014/09/08/some-great-saves/

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Another question: Is Schefter at all accountable for retweeting unconfirmed information?

I would say he's on the right side of the line, since it was from a typically reliable source, the AP, though reporting on a typically unreliable medium, The Twitters.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to tell my guys: If it goes out with your name on it and it is wrong, you are wrong.
    So as much as I respect Schefter (enough to spell his name right this time, thanks Dick), he's wrong here, too.

Our NFL guy sent me an IM and asked if I ever heard of the guy. I had not and he found the tweet a bit off for some reason. Good judgment on his part and most outlets took the same approach.

4. My theory: This is a news reporter who has never covered sports who was probably watching the game with buddies and got a text from someone and decided to feel like a big shot on Twitter, not knowing what he was in for.

I don't blame Schefter (or anyone else). When a report has AP attached to it, that means something.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Schefter knows better than to retweet this guy. Schefter knows which guys are in the know and Schefter could verify the story with one call.

The only way this guy breaks that story is if the Raiders give it to them specifically, and if that was the case, there would be more info in the tweet.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The part of it that elevates it way, way higher for me is the "I was never covering the story" backtrack.

If you fucked up, just own it and don't pull that bullshit.

That's what COULD push it into the fireable offense zone for me.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

AP needs to say exactly what happened. Lord knows if it was the NYTimes, we'd be reading an ombudsman piece on it by now.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Just guessing, but I would imagine that last tweet was made at the direction of AP. If not, he may be too stupid to keep his job.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

One form of discipline: make him sit next to Dennis Allen on the flight from London back to California.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Make him get a Mark Davis haircut.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nice.

Allen will be fired soon, and hopefully TMZ breaks it.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You're with AP. If there isn't a superior giving you the OK on unnamed source(s) before reporting -- and, yes, Twitter is reporting -- then the question is: Why not? Yes, yes, immediacy and all that. This right here shows yet again the dangers of Twitter and "reporting" without context. Had Collins run his source by a superior who has the authority to OK such reporting, we'd have one less thread today. Yes, there are screw-ups. But this is inexcusable. And good on the SI guy for giving pause on it -- and bad on Schefter. As mentioned, one phone call and he'd have it, even if it is the Raiders.

Draft saved Draft deleted