1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Sep 26, 2009.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Our state prep football scores are now routed through Spokane, Wash. (three time zones away) to get onto the wire, which we find kind of hilarious. Nothing puts a humorous twist on a Friday night then getting a call from Spokane looking for a missing score in which one of the teams is a bit of a local shibboleth, though.

Though I'll give our state AP credit. They started making college football previews available in time to get them in Friday morning, instead of Friday afternoon, which has at least made it possible to get something in on the upcoming games. Also, when we ask for a resend, they're more likely to make the below statement as part of a mean question asked nicely: "You know you can get this on AP Exchange, right?"

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

We still get the Spokane phone call on Friday nights, too, but not as often as we used too. Informed the AP caller of www.khsaa.org, which is great about getting scores on there as well as linked them to the Friday night scoreboards for the Louisville Courier-Journal and the Lexington Herald-Leader.

It seems they'll check the KHSAA, LCJ and LHL before calling us now.

Plus, one of the AP folks was kind enough to ask what daily followed which school(s) and apparently made note of it as we rarely get a phone call that doesn't involve one of the eight schools we cover.

Only problem I have no is they keep calling the main newsroom phone - which has an annoying ring you can here from the breakroom a floor below (KYSportsWriter will confirm) - instead of one of the four extensions for sports.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's usually quicker to pull it off the AP website and re-code it myself.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The problem with that is you are ripping 20-30 stories. I find it time consuming to opoen 30 separate windows. The re-coding works fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted