1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP preseason top 25 is out ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

... for men's basketball, and Florida is No. 1. I know, what a shock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/11/06/bc.bkc.t25.collegebkbpo.ap/index.html

Basically, I just wanted to post this because I'm starting to get excited about the season. There's only so much KU football that alums and students should have to take, you know.

Also, kind of shocking to see Pitt that high. I realize they're good, but I'm not used to that.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

For all the griping about the inaccuracies of the preseason football poll, the basketball poll is usually far worse in terms of overrating teams.

Have two marginal starters coming back? Well, here's your No. 12 ranking!

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dye, I agree. For all the talk about how good leagues like the MoValley were/are, all of the preseason pub is going to bigger schools. You've basically got five small-conference teams in the top 25.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Hey, I had two Valley schools in my poll (I voted for Wichita State, the Shockers didn't get in).

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I counted three, if you want to be generous and say Memphis plays in a mid-major league.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Yeah, but that poll doesn't help determine the champion.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No, but that was why I said in terms of overrating teams, not determining a champion.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The AP basketball poll is unbelievably meaningless. I don't even pay attention to the damn thing. I start watching it around conference tourney time to start thinking about what seeds will match rankings, but there really isn't a reason to pay attention otherwise.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Did someone say ...

[​IMG]

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A quick look, and I may be wrong, but did I see Missouri State with 1 vote and no votes for Mizzou? That's classic.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And for that matter, when was the last time a Final Four team from the previous season gets one point (George Mason) in the following year's preseason poll?

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Yes, but no one gripes about the men's basketball poll because it doesn't matter. In the football poll, if you're ranked low to start the season, you might have no shot to win a championship no matter how you perform. See Auburn. That's why there really is no champion. Just a glass trophy given to the most popular really good team.

Draft saved Draft deleted