1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP misinterprets emotions on NFL lock-out story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 26, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

So I'm reading the sports page today with the big news about the NFL lockout front and center (as it should be)...the AP photo is of Robert Kraft leaning on Jeff Saturday's massive shoulder...emotions clear on both sides.

Both in the cutline and in the story the AP makes it seem that this embrace is the result of coming to an NFL Labor Deal, when I'm pretty certain that's not the case.

I'm not close to the situation reporting-wise, but Robert Kraft lost his wife in the last week or two, and this photo strikes me much more as these two sharing a hug around the emotions of losing a spouse.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought they were getting gay-married.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Litke column made the chain of events leading up to the hug pretty clear.

4. flexmaster33

Is that part of an AP package?
    Our state-wide paper just ran the basic story (no column).

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I saw it live and my first thought was that the shared hug involved a combination of Mrs. Kraft 's death and the lockout/negotiation tension, all rolled into one.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't see the newser, but, this. But after seeing this thread, glad I rewrote the cutline to say it happened during the newser instead of trying to interpret it. But what else to you expect from an AP cutline?

7. flexmaster33

Looking at Richard Rosenblatt's AP story...this is the line that is misplaced...

Then came what may truly be the lasting image of the dispute's resolution: Indianapolis Colts offensive lineman Jeff Saturday wrapped one of his burly arms around New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and enveloped him in a hug — a gesture that symbolized the acrimony's end more than any statement could.

I believe this was Saturday reaching out to a fellow human being in pain, fully understanding that Kraft has been grieving the loss of his wife. I don't believe the hug was intended to represent anything about the lockout.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

saturday and kraft were among a few who took a turn at speaking when demaurice smith and goodell did their 'the nfl is back' presser on monday. saturday grace, spoke of kraft's late wife and talked about how amazing it was that even in her final days she encouraged her husband to attend the negotiating sessions. when it was kraft's turn to speak and he tossed bouquets right back at saturday. all those involved in the negotiations acknowledged there were pretty heated exchanges right 'til the end but the solidarity front both sides put up monday moved everyone.

so, when saturday spoke in awe of myra kraft's strength and thanked her for selflessly making sure her husband kept his head in the cba game, that's what led to the impromtu and genuine hugfest. it was really both congratulatory in that they were exchanging kudos for the role each played in the negotiations AND natural when saturday acknowleded myra.

so, the combo of the cba agreement in conjunction with the passing of kraft's wife last week led to the embrace as the kudos were being exchanged.

9. what is your problem? do you really think you're funny? jesus christ

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't know about either situation, but from this, it sounds like you're telling AP it was wrong to write something because you interpreted a photo differently than they did.

While I believe it's a stretch to write anything about what *any* person is feeling without asking that person, isn't saying "this strikes me as" exactly what you're saying AP did?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutelyfreakinglutely.

Draft saved Draft deleted