1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Jerry Falwell has died.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

RIP. Like 3BF's friend, I believe Falwell's intentions were good, but very,very poorly executed. I have no doubt the place he's in now is a much better one.

And while Sportsbruh's reaction was uncalled for, there are some conservatives that will claim persecution out of anything, I guess. Pathetic.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The answer, wicked, is yes, you do need to bring up the things the man said in public while trying to proslytize.

Anything less is lying by omission.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

CORRECTION!
    No one with the exception of Sportsbruh is retarded enough to misspell while insulting a dead guy.

Bruh, go have Mommy install NetNanny for you.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How do you do an obit about Howard Stern without discussing some of the things he's done on the air?

How do you do the obit on Bob Barket without referencing the Diane Parkinson sexual assault charge?

And how in the hell do you tell Falwell's story without referencing the numerous times that he put in his mouth? It's an injustice to the readers and the person.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RIP, Mr. Falwell.

And at least Sportsbruh is good at picking his fights. He could probably handle most of your dead guys in 2-3 rounds.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

OK, this has to be a goof. It reads like a bad Stern parody.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A modern day Pharisee in my mind.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do you need to bring up the specific comments?

Or just that he had a pattern of them?

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He wasn't an anti-Semite, he's not Al Sharpton. He was of a stream of Christianity that took the Book of Revelations as absolute fact, as Gospel. In that context, his utterings about the Jewish religion are understandable and not founded upon hatred of Jews, unlike Fat Al, upon whose death I will drink a ceremonial Colt .45.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wicked--I just watched the interview Falwell did last week with Christiana Amanpour...he repeated that 9/11 happened because God has removed his protection from our culture, and the people who caused that to happen (ie, abortion advocates, homosexuals) need to take responsibility.

I find it incredibly disingenuous to praise the man's life without acknowledging the totality of his beliefs.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think you have to, again, not because I dislike the guy, but because it's a disservic to the reader. The guy caused much outrage post-9-11 and much laughter post Teletubbies. Better to re-address than to leave the reader thinking, "dammit, didnt he say something about some children's show once? Hey MARIE! MARIE! Wasn't Falwell the one to say something about a children's show that was really silly? What show was that? It was Sesame Street? OKay."

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Thanks Fred Phelps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.