1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Exchange goes down!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Aug 11, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Went to look for pics toward the end of the Mexico-USA game and ... nothing except a few pregame pics. Tried to reload and, nothing. Called New York tech support and the problem was on their end. Fortunately, was able to get a couple of photos off MCT and we were still getting text feed through NewsEdit. But, just out of curiosity, checked Exchange from home and it was still down,

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. We were able to get text feed but I had a couple of inside pages that ended up being pretty gray.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was able to find photos but was unable to download any full-res images. Kept getting some kind of "null" error. So I ended up dragging the thumbnails and using those in the art holes. Turned out surprisingly OK.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

And, gawd, do I HATE the site, anyway!

5. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

We had much of the same problems everyone else had. But didn't discover it until we were almost on deadline. Just went without, I'm surprised AP exchanges doesn't go down more often.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Glad it wasn't just me. It started freaking out on me about 9:30 last night, and I assumed it was my computer because the other guy said he wasn't having issues. Come to find out he hadn't used exchange in a few hours. All but one page was done, but it ended up being a fairly wide open page with one stock mug. It looks hideous.

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Wonder if it was LulzSec or somebody like that. No, I'm not kidding.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thankfully, we have the MCT backup. Not perfect, but beats the hell out of running empty foto boxes, especially for MLB.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I went to AP Images, then realized that I don't have a username, and couldn't find our newspaper's login. And at that point, I wasn't gonna start trying to hunt that down, figuring if I didn't find it, I wasted that much more time.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

MCT: The sadly forgotten wire.

By the way, I know they're two different sites, but do the AP Images and AP Exchange pages work off the same servers?

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It was Anonymous. The group said it was tired of seeing newspapers fill space with non-local content.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I believe so, because I was having issues with both sites last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted