1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Don't call them illegal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Does everyone in the world have the innate right to come live in the U.S.?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No, but at least be honest and say we don't want those people here instead of acting like they could have followed the rules and come here legally. Most couldn't.

But I see your point. Imagine where we would be as a country if we had opened our borders and let all sorts of poor European trash into the country, for example.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

First heard more than a decade ago that "undocumented worker" was the ideal term.

AP is behind the times.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes. We have this thing in New York inviting them to come, which all of my ancestors did in the past 100 years or so.

http://thedabbler.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/newcolossus.jpg

Immigrants of the 1800s and 1900s helped make this country great, and now people want to tell these immigrants to stay home.

Under today's mindset, we would have never had living in America a Maravich, DiMaggio, Ruth, Ditka, Musial, Lombardi, Namath, Paterno... the list goes on and on.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There are life cycles to these things. The needs to populate and develop this country were vastly different 100 years ago than they are now, with runaway unemployment and massive deficits. Much smaller gov't, not trying to throw everyone a life preserver, the private sector as the primary route to the "American dream." All different now.

As for Norrin Radd's observation, I think that too is a subset of the larger group. Lots of Americans can work with that group of unauthorized immigrants who are "undocumented workers." That still doesn't address their entry, their attempted claims on U.S. resources or what happens when they're not working.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We had an undeveloped continent in need of cheap labor back then.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some people look at it as a motivated work force.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except a lot of them don't work so that's not accurate.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Are you people seriously talking about this when they went against five centuries of maritime history and made "under way" one word, which it's not?

What's next? Allowing the Oxford comma?

10. Yes. Borders are irrelevant if we are OK with free trade.

11. I racist F.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So everyone who is here undocumented is gainfully employed? Given that 15 percent of America is currently unemployed I find that hard to believe.

And I thought we were trying to find a term that fit all the illegal aliens that AP doesn't want to call illegal aliens anymore.

Feel free to fuck off now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.