1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Don't call them illegal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can anyone tell the difference between someone who crossed the border illegally or those who overstayed their visa? Those who overstay their visa make up about half of all "unauthorized immigrants."

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So that's an argument for precision and differentiation.

Some unauthorized immigrants are undocumented. Some are here illegally because they crossed the border unlawfully from the start. Why such resistance to clarity? Fretting over feelings? The former is essential to the AP's business, the latter is not.

4. I'm not resistant to clarity. You are if you think "illegal immigrant" is appropriate to describe 50 percent of "undocumented immigrants" who came legally but overstayed their visa.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No he's not.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

that's cool, dawg. if you can't see that the very people who used to openly call folks niggers, fags and chinks are the same folks who froth at the mouth to publicly trash these "illegals," and every other person of the same skin color, i'm ok with that.
    basically, a bunch of rednecks are able to take one act taken by mexicans and turn it racial ... an act i sure as to hell would take if i were in their shoes. so if you want to support allowing those people to point at every brown-skinned person in this country - see arizona - as an illegal, have right at it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

damn, i'm waiting for another five-second vid so you can drive home your point, IF.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Crock, TP.
    Whichever border gets breached, by whatever group regardless of ethnicity, this applies.
    Cling to your identity politics all you want. But it's dishonest if you truly want to debate this issue.
    Someone -- anyone -- jumps the line or doesn't follow steps necessary to gain citizenship, they're illegal. Could be from Dublin, far as I'm concerned.
    When the hell are we going to set aside all the pigment and genitalia bullshit and focus on that "content of character" stuff MLK preached? Ever?
    Or would that strip too many people of a permanent constituency and an argument diversion?

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can just feel the love on this thread.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You guys do realize that if most of these folks "followed the due process to citizenship" they would never get into this country, don't you.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Blithely saying that these people should wait in line and follow the procedures to get into the USA would be like me telling most people here that if they don't like their sports writing pay, they should become a CEO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.