1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP changes policy on races?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Appgrad05, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Just reading Mike Harris' preview for tomorrow's race and noticed he said Auto Club 500. Hasn't it been standard practice for a few years now to refer to the race as "Sunday's race at ______ Speedway?"

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

From the title, this seemed like it might be another of SportsJournalists.com's popular "Diversity" threads

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I thought this was going to say they had gone back to using "colored people."

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't think this was policy, if for no other reason than I remember formatting agate for the Food City 500 like 10 years ago. If you're going to eliminate it from your prose, wouldn't you eliminate it from the agate, too?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

They didn't use race names for at least the last portion of last year.

What threw me off on Harris' lede tonight was that he named the Cup race, but not the actual race he covered. Kenseth won the Busch Series race, but 15 of the top 16 will run the Auto Club 500.

Very odd.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

IIRC, they had the whole title in the agate head but didn't once refer to the commercialized name of the race in the optionals. So Appgrad is right.

They still have the rule of telling us why anonymous sources want to stay anonymous, though it's obvious in most cases. This comes from a source who did not want to be identified because it would mean they talked to a hack like me.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm fine with never using the sponsors in stories. After all, they aren't paying our newspapers for the plug, are they?

Draft saved Draft deleted