1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP byline strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Feb 10, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Pardon me if it's been reported elsewhere, or not for the board, but is there another AP byline strike going on tonight?

I know stringers are used on occasion, but I find it a little hard to believe that there'd be a stringer working the Jazz beat with Sloan's resignation (I saw DeBruin's name on an earlier story), NASCAR Media Day (I can't believe Fryer wouldn't be there) and the Celtics-Lakers game with Ray Allen's 3-point record (I would think both Ulman and Golen would be there for that).

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If AP guys are staging any kind of work stoppage/protest, fuck 'em. They get paid higher and the product is getting crappier all the time in terms of quality and speed.

3. berniefocker

berniefocker New Member

yeah there is a protest going on i saw it on one of the AP writers twitter pages yesterday

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why cause?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seems to be sporadic. Ferguson has his name on the story from Pebble Beach.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is Ferguson not in solidarity with his fellow brothers and sisters?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

His head is, but his heart is in Abu Dhabi...

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Byline strikes are pointless.

AP byline strikes are even more so.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I used to work at a paper that never used AP bylines. We were told to just use "The Associated Press" or leave the (AP) in the dateline. I always thought that was a dumb rule, though I didn't notice the lack of bylines tonight, and we always run them.
    Does anyone know what their beef is? I'm tempted to make a snide comment, but I know very little about what's asked of them vs. what they're paid. Maybe they have a legitimate gripe. Then again, who in this business doesn't?

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Just because it goes out from AP with a byline doesn't mean it came in with one.

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Don't they know they're just hurting themselves? Their editor will love telling them they wrote five fewer stories this year because he/she assesses quality by byline count.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I noticed this too, with both the Sloan resignation story and some BKC stuff, including a game where I know an AP staffer was there.

Not sure what they're trying to accomplish, though.

And like others have said, 95 percent of newspapers using these stories cut the bylines out anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted