1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP bowl bitching thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Dec 30, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Alamo Bowl ends at 11:57 p.m. Eastern.

Chicago Tribune story, 19 inches live, moves at 12:14 a.m. Eastern.

AP moves FOUR PARAGRAPHS at 12:15 a.m. Eastern.

Sickening, embarrassing, shameful.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Unbelievable. It's 12:28, and if people don't have the McClatchy wire, they're sitting on 5.2 inches of Alamo Bowl copy.

Somebody forget that East Coast papers have deadlines?

3. satchmo

satchmo Member

I loved all the sweet Northwestern shots and the total lack of anything resembling a Missouri player doing anything but running for his life — if we're voting.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Under our old deadline (12:45 a.m. EST), we could have gotten the game in the paper. But now, our deadline is 11:45, which we missed by a good 30 minutes tonight while finishing up high school roundups and waiting for our SE to get his column in after computer troubles.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i left about a 12-inch hole. filled with a photo and that quality 4 inches of AP copy. it looks like crap but i had to do something to move the page.

6. This would fit better in an ESPN bowl bitching thread, but can anyone tell me why ESPN showed Chase Daniel's family after ever fucking play in the final quarter/OT? (They may have done it after every play of the game, but I only watched the last half-hour.)

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What exactly is the deal with speed of box scores moving on the AP wire and bowl games? It seems like they take forever and a day to move. When a reasonable amount of time passes you get an advisory from AP saying there's a problem at the source. Why is this?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is either Mizzou or Northwestern "local" to you? If not, why would you need 12 inches on that game?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Because it's a bowl game, and we have room to use 12 inches on a bowl game?

12 inches on a nationally televised football game is hardly worthy of question.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Some of us don't have that kind of space for an out-of-area useless bowl game with too much other stuff going on

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's no big thing. We got a 20-page section; we had room. Some do.

I had an open tab page for two bowl games.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I know where he's going with it, buck. If you're in a heavy prep market like us, you have plenty going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted