1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP baseball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dude, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Why does AP still run inning-by-inning recaps of the World Series? Do they still think this type of thing is still necessary in the age of the Internet where you can watch it pitch-by-pitch?

It seems like an antiquated practice some nostalgic old-timers there seem to cling to. Like they believe all the deskers at the Podunk Times are huddled around the teletype machine waiting to see what happened in the top of the fourth.

Any SJ APers in our midst that could fill me in?

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm not a SJ APer, but my guess is that they do it for the newspaper sports editors that want to include the full inning-by-inning report in the next day's paper for the sports fans that missed the game (or those that want to relive the game) and want to read the batter-by-batter review summary of what happened.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Actually, we've used this on occasion. I didn't know they would be sending one this year, so I didn't tell our desk guy to look for it for Game 1.

Kind of a neat touch, I think, if you've got the room.

4. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Then why not grab it at the end of the night? Why grab it in takes like that? It just seems like a waste of resources.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know about this, but I have no idea why the AP continues to send college football and basketball scores in five regional takes. I've asked AP people why they do this and to a person they shrug their shoulders as if to say, "That's the way it's always been done."

For most front-end systems, you have to code them seperately in some fashion -- some systems this is no big deal, others its a deadline pain-in-the-ass.

Even if it did help member papers, it sure as hell doesn't help readers. If your team is playing out of its region and you don't know it, how the hell are you supposed to be expected to look for Western Illinois in the South scores? If they're going to split up the takes, why not make it useful and move them by conference?

There's absolutely NO reason they can't move those scores in one take. Just another antiquated practice that's just arcanely stupid.

6. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

I have to agree with Bubbler, especially when space limitations mean I don't give a rat's ass about the West Central New Hampshire Tech-St. Virgin's Anonymous score. Even if it's too much trouble for the AP to send scores by conference, at least break it down into major and non-major scores.
    Of course, this is the same organization that sent out daily What-T.O.-Did bulletins during training camp, so...

7. enigami

enigami Member

Perhaps it's still practical for smaller sections that only have enough room for their local region on a day-to-day basis. I doubt AP has thought of that, however.

I see this as a separate issue from the world series inning-by-inning recap. That's probably a dying bird.

8. slipshod

slipshod Member

AP is trying to change some very old habits. Scores list could be one of them. I'll ask somebody about inning by inning. I'll bet it goes back to the wire's early days.
    With purchase of STATS Inc., lowly AP hacks don't have to handpunch the agate anymore from the games. Had to do this up until last season.

Draft saved Draft deleted