1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP All-American

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Dec 11, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, but Selvie was selected to four of the five recognized teams. That makes him consensus.

My question would be someone like Clady. He was only selected to two first teams, but was one of the four offensive linemen with most first-team picks. Does that make him consensus?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So you have to be in a majority of the teams to be concensus then? I would say that makes three teams the cutoff.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If that's the case, Clady wouldn't be consensus, and there are only two consensus A-A linebackers. Those are the only places, I believe, where it's called into question.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The short answer is no.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Kind of funny that the Bednarik Award winner is not a consensus All-American.

6. ARD

ARD Member

Third team
    Running backs — Matt Forte, sophomore, Tulane; Jonathan Stewart, junior, Oregon.

FYI, if that's the list sent out by AP, Forte is a senior.

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Same with the Ray Guy award winner (Durant Brooks).

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Sporting News had Percy Harvin on the first team as WR? He didn't even lead the Gator wideouts in catches.

Great talent. All-American? Hardly.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Manningham didn't deserve to be second-team AA... far overrated based on this season.
    And Dennis Dixon gets fucked once again.

10. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

The South Florida website explains how somebody becomes a "consensus" AA:

"The NCAA’s consensus All-American team is based upon point totals through inclusion on five teams – AP, AFCA, FWAA, The Sporting News and Walter Camp Foundation. First Team selections count for three points, second team for two and third team for one.

The players with the majority of the votes at their position are credited with consensus honors."

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Great question. Wish I knew the answer.

I just know that Jones had 1,154 yards and 11 touchdowns — on just 123 carries.

That's 9.1 YARDS PER CARRY! Those are high school numbers.

He also averaged 31-plus yards per kick return and had two scores.

His career yards per carry average is around 8 yards.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Seems about right for the first-team Mizzou guys, Maclin and Rucker. Chase Daniel is maybe one team too high, but then again, maybe not.

Draft saved Draft deleted