1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP agate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how many people here use or have used the prepared AP agate page and what's your thoughts on the product?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well worth it. Shaves a good 45 minutes to an hour a night off pagination time. Design-wise it's as pretty as a Mack truck, but it gets the job done.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agree with FB completely. We were sorry to see them discontinue the NBA package last year.

A great time saver. We've used the MLB and NFL stuff since it began.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

We started using it for our baseball page this year. Saves us 45 minutes to an hour every night. Not pretty, but gets the job done.

5. Football_Bat

That sounds familiar.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Sleeping and posting at the same time .... not good.

Another cup of black coffee, por favor ;D

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I've wondered about it too. Our paper could never justify it...summer MLB we are all bored anyway so working agate gives us something to do, we never do amuch hooop agate and NFL mostly done early enough, so really it's be for college football if we used it...and boy we could use it there. College football whips us every saturday.
    Do they have CF specific package or page?

8. Football_Bat

Justify it this way: An hour a day = $180 in paying mailroom and press personnel for the same hour.

Cost of the packege = $300 per year. (I think, it's been a couple years since we started it.)

Thus, it pays for itself in TWO DAYS.

I wasn't here, but rumor had it the publisher's o0ffice smelled like jizz for 3 weeks.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Joe... at my shop, we all take vacations in the summer, so our staff is short someone pretty much every week in June and July, so the time saved pays off. Plus, in the summer, we're always working on takeouts, scholastic projects, etc. Even in our current save-every-penny mode, I've not been asked to not reup with the agate package. And I work for a CNHI paper. Ugh.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for your input. greatly appreciated.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Just remember, guys: Don't bother Tom with calls. E-mails and message-board posts only, please. ;D

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"nuts busted," tom mumbled while looking down and shaking head slowly from side to side. "nuts, busted."

Draft saved Draft deleted