1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Dec 12, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I hear the long-rumored layoffs at AOL are happening Wednesday. Not sure of the exact total, but was told 7-8 people, probably, in the content division are gone plus every contractor. I think the total number - based on an old article, if I recall correctly - will be over 100 people laid off.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, what do you make of this? Is it greed or shortsightedness? Is it necessary or not? Are they giving up on original content for the long term?

3. lantaur

I wish I could find the original article - maybe I'll look when I have time later - but a lot of it is shortsightedness, with their pay model coming crashing down. Now that they are offering free content (and they kind of had to) amd aren't making money off subscribers (which was dwindling every year as is), the next step is - of course - layoffs. Plus, I believe they hired a new boss a while back. I am unsure if this affects original content (I don't think it does; the contractors I believe are more on the production side, not people like Whitlock).

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Damn!

5. lantaur

Final number: 500 in the Northern Virginia office got whacked today. Happy holidays!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/13/AR2006121301328.html

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know quite a few of these people, and it's really terrible news and timing. I'd appreciate any specifics anybody can give me, probably more appropriate for a PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted