1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anything more unappealing than this year's HR contest?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm sitting here with two ticket in my hands and am NOT impressed by this years contestants.

Maybe it's me being small minded, looking for big names. But I seriously wanted to see some of the bigger HR giants golf some balls into the far reaches of Yankee stadium.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A prostate exam given by Gary "Big Hands" Johnson would be pretty high up on the list.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Hey man. You just struck a nerve. I just hit 35 and have an exam scheduled in the very near future.

Thanks for reminding me....

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

moon river...

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

But it's got Josh Hamilton.

Did you know he used to do crack? He has tattoos and everything. It's a pretty compelling story. Someone should write about it.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Wow!! I just did a little read up on him. What a story. I'm surprised it hasn't been driven into the ground by now. Then again, he doesn't play for a big market team.

At least I'll have someone to root for now.....

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NBA Three-Ball is up there...but to hear announcers use their home run calls on this event is such a joke. Why don't they tape off various areas of the stadium and give prizes or charitable donations based on where a ball lands. Is Big Papi still going to do that "called shot" promotion? What a disgrace that is.

At least put Jeffrey Meier in the right field seats with his glove.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Berkman and Hamilton should be good. There's still four more spots out there and Jason Giambi has agreed to participate if he wins the fan vote. Vladimir Guerrero has said he wants to defend his title.

That foursome plus two other potential boppers — Pujols, Holliday, Braun or Sizemore — will be good.

Who's the idea eight out of anybody?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No it isn't, if for no other reason than I can find another sporting event to watch on another channel that night.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

If I ever stooped so low to bet on the Home Run Contest, I'd put my money on Matt Holliday or Hanley Ramirez.

Holliday is as strong as anyone in the league and HanRam has a cool nickname.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Sizemore confirmed he'll be in it — three spots left.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would like to see Uggla in it. His grip-it-and-rip-it batting approach would be fun to watch....

Draft saved Draft deleted