1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching Hell's Kitchen?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JoelHammond, Jun 11, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Killick

Outside of the military, a restaurant kitchen is the LEAST democractic workplace around

And yes, there are a chefs in serious restaurants who are artists.

A restaurant kitchen is a small, hot, dangerous workplace with an extraordinary amount of pressure to perform....NOW.

The chef has to keep everything moving and if it means screaming to maintain control and show who's in charge, then screaming it'll be.

That said, a lot of the Ramsay stuff is a bit of a shtick now. He's like Anthony Bourdain--he likes to play up the Bad Boy image.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just watched, you nailed it....he's wearing an orange tie with a blue shirt....when he walks to the counter, turns around and he's in a blue/white pattern tie and a white shirt!

And then, he's in the dining room, in a solid navy tie.

And now back in the orange tie!

And now the blue/white print!

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Top Chef has nailed down the foodie market but getting better and better cooks every season.

Hell's Kitchen is, apparently, going for a more general audience by getting crappy cooks so Ramsay always has plenty to yell about.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, good get. I just watched it on PVR and didn't notice that (considering how much face time JP got this episode, I thougth I would have picked that up). I'll be going back for another look.

I'll echo the thoughts of the others on here: very uninspiring group here. Nobody comes close to standing out like Michael did in the first season and Rock did last year. Christ, K-Grease from a couple of seasons back would wipe the floor with this group.

I'd read on some message boards that the US version of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares was heavily staged with actors playing the parts of restaurant owners and employees. The BBC version is much better.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Maybe it was the lighting?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a hallucination after he slammed his face into the glass door.

I promise you, three different ties edited into the same scene. Ugh.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Slamming into the door was funny. I've done that. I have no depth perception.

And it wasn't the lighting, I just watched it. Ugh, indeed.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's not quite as ridiculously easy as last season, when Roc was like four times better than anyone else, but it'll be the two blondes and Bobby in the final three, and I think Corey probably wins. (I haven't even seen Tuesday's yet, so I'll feel dumb if one of them got booted already).

What's disappointed me the most is the way they've done almost nothing new this season. Same challenges, same rewards, same drama. And you could eliminate 80 percent of the elite culinary wizards halfway through the first episode. It's basically "The Real World" with the word "risotto" thrown in every 20 seconds and more trashcan-kicking than most shows. But hey, I still watch.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Boy, are you gonna feel silly...

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

21, thank you!!

And, I was obviously being a little sarcastic about it being "fake." Obviously, it's fake.

I expect a little editing, but this JP thing in this episode was crazy! I thought I was seeing things, so we rewound it during. Sure enough, multiple different outfits.

Thanks again, 21.

11. Msaint

Msaint Member

What's funny about Ramsay is that on his BBC show "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" (others have referenced) he's actually a VERY funny, quick-witted, and often very compassionate guy...while also being, of course, brutally frank and getting in peoples' faces when they need it. He doesn't put up with any B.S or laziness in a kitchen and will skewer anyone who's dragging the place down, but he really does care about saving these restaurants that are on the brink of closing because he's failed in the past -- Argan Cafe, La Noisette, Pengelley's -- and feels their pain.

Also, he's great about spotting culinary potential in even the roughest line cook and mentoring them...in one episode, this pampered, lazy (and probably drug-addled) English daddy's girl and her clueless friend (two tarts with nothing more than waitress experience) were using daddy's money to run a Parisian vegetarian restaurant into the ground. Ramsay came in, cleaned the place up, got it heading in the right direction, convinced lazy, stubborn daddy's girl to stop dicking around in the kitchen and hire a potential head chef -- a young woman from Scotland, like Ramsay, who moved her entire life to Paris, eager as hell to learn in the city where Ramsay honed his chops. After going back to Scotland to uproot her life, she returned to Paris, only to discover that daddy's girl had run the place into the ground & closed up shop without telling her, leaving her unemployed and abandoned in a strange city. But Ramsay thought she had rough talent and drive, and immediately offered her a job training under one of his exec chefs back in London, paid for her to move back, put her up until she got on her feet, etc. Thought that was a class move.

I guess my point is, FOX, who knows that "compassionate mentor" doesn't sell, has clearly told him to be a sadistic douche and yell & scream because that's what we slackjawed Americans enjoy/relate to, but he's a much better guy than the Hell's Kitchen folks would want you to believe.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The FOX Kitchen Nightmares was a joke, way over the top, it was the same fucking thing every week: resturant in chaos, incompetent staff and management, total lack of cleanliness, Ramsay does a quick survey of the neighbourhood, figures out what kind of place in missing, redoes the menu, transforms the staff and next thing you know the Michelin people are at the door to hand out stars.

But the BBC one, as Msaint says, was so much better. Ramsay actually works with these people, showing them what to do in the kitchen (something he does very little of on Hell's Kitchen) and how to help their restrunt (as he pronounces it) succeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted