1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone want to defend Ann Coulter?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by butchie, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And please send money.

That is all.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not quite.

Franken has an outside shot at becoming a senator.

Coulter has an outside chance and resembling a human being.

3. Oh, they're running for cover all over the righty blogosphere today.
    It's fun to watch. "We think gay people are perverted and our Jesus doesn;t like what they do with their pee-pees and we think that dislike should be codified into civil law but we don;t drop the F-bomb, so we're not like...HER!"
    Rats, the lot of them.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhht

5. He doesn't?
    A wealthy, famous Democrat in a blue state running against a vulnerable first-termer who's running like a rat away from the war, and who would have been squashed the last time if the incumbent didn't die, and who couldn't beat Jesse Ventura for governor?
    It's not an easy bet, but it's not a real longshot, either.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think people'll have a hard time taking him seriously. *Yeah, like Jesse Ventura, or Ahhnold.*

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Minnesotans already voted for Ventura instead of Coleman. Franken's surely behind -- and will have to beat a decent candidate in Mike Ciresi just to make it to the general -- but he's by no means out of the race.

What's hilarious is wondering who will call whom a carpet-bagger first. That, and how fast Coleman can backpedal from being the point man in selling Bush's war.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I think people will listen to what he has to say, and that's half of the battle. I'm just not sure he has much to say that's of any value. I read a portion of one of his early political commentaries, and it sucked. It convinced me of nothing. It was filled with name-calling, sophomoric stuff.

I haven't read anything else he's written, but "The Truth" is getting good reviews. Then again, it's not as if right-wingers are reading it and commenting, just as it's fairly unlikely that anyone on the left is going to read Coulter's work.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Jesus, are we really debating the electability of Al Franken?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I believe the first public poll showed Coleman with a 54-37 lead on Coleman.

There are two distinct ways of looking at that:

1. Coleman has a comfortable lead.

2. A comedian who lives in New York and just announced he was running -- without yet having spent a dime -- has 37 percent of the vote. The same poll showed Coleman defeating Ciresi something like 57-34. Again, Coleman has a lead. He also has to know that right around 40 percent of Minnesotans ain't voting for him in any case. That's the war. That's not likely to change.

His margin will be among independents and moderates. Which shouldn't be too hard for him, since he used to run as a Democrat. But that was before he married himself to Bush. Time will tell.

Yeah, Alley, we are. Since he's, you know, going to run.

11. zeke -- What's Ciresi's deal anyway?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ciresi was the private attorney who represented the state when it sued the tobacco companies.

Rumor has it that he took the case on spec, and when he negotiated the settlement he got them to pony up not only 6 billion to the state, but more than half a billion to his firm alone. The state then elected Jesse "The Mind" and he promptly spent the state's cut by sending everyone a check for like $350 bucks -- no shit, I got one. Ciresi, apparently, has invested his cut a little more prudently. He'll have the money to take on Franken and/or Coleman. I think both have said they'll abide by the DFL endorsement.

He lost in the primary to Dayton the last time. He's by no means an electric campaigner, from what I remember. But you know Minnesota. Everyone else will get out of the way. It's his turn.

God, how I love the upper midwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted