1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone use this site?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just received a letter from Maxpreps.com, asking me to pimp them out to my local high school coaches. I make it a point not to do free advertising for companies and won't be doing anything of the sort, but the site made me curious.

Anybody sign up for it and use it? How complete are their statistics, etc.? Are any coaches using this or is it doomed to fail?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We use MaxPreps pretty regularly out here in Cali. For us, I'd give it a lower accuracy rating than Wikipedia -- and not even close to as wide-spread for number of entries -- but it's been pretty spot-on reliable in our experience.

I wouldn't trust it for statistics. If you can't get 'em from the coach and/or other reliable source, I wouldn't go off of MaxPreps for that. But as far as confirming a called-in name spelling on a football Friday approaching deadline (or softball Wednesday, etc.), it does the job fairly well. Quick and easy to navigate (and margin of error for prep names, as we all know, is quite high. It's not any worse than a coach who spells his player's name wrong three times after you've asked him twice.)

Depending on if your area schools use it or not, I'd recommend it.

EDIT: But I wouldn't pimp them out unless you're getting commission. If your schools aren't using it, it's not your job to advertise.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm going to be doing freelance work for the site starting next week (hopefully). They pay $35/article, which I've told is low, but every little bit for me will help.

4. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

What Buck said above was spot-on.
    I wouldn't rely on it for statistics (however, you can usually tell what schools are diligent in keeping their stats on the site current and which ones are very lax). But it's great for looking up school nicknames, records, name spellings, positions, etc., etc.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's great for looking up nicknames, schedules, rosters, etc. As long as the sport you seek is on there. Some regions have more sports than others.

Draft saved Draft deleted