1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone up for breaking a strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da man, Nov 21, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The main thing that keeps the NY Post going is Murdoch's need to have a paper in NY. Rupert doesn't care how much the Post loses as long as News Corp. makes enough money elsewhere.
    There have been whispers for about a year now that the Post could drop it's Sunday edition (ad revenue totally in the crapper) at any time now.
    But if Rupert were to die tomorrow, his kid might not be so eager to keep losing milions of dollars on the Post.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes ... but you can't roll up the entire broadsheet, stick it in your pocket and go to the bathroom!

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I respect anyone who won't cross a picket line and I surely feel for the folks working at the Inky/DN. But I mean, c'mon...NINE other paper unions have already said they will not respect a Guild picket line. The members of those unions feel a Guild strike would hurt them.

And, yes, it's nice to give the finger to the corporate cocksmokers out there but hey Tierney didn't create this mess. He bailed them out, remember? Yes, you can blast him as a knucklehead for not doing his due diligence before buying the papers, but it could have been worse .

If you're some poor sap working for JRC or Gannett in suburban Pa. or NJ, GO FOR IT!

BTW, Chuck Pukanecz vaulted to the top of JRC editorial precisely because he was a scab for Jelenic.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Or, part of the business strategy from the get-go was to increase profits by freezing salaries and ending the pension program. The Guild has every right to threaten a strike and, if necessary, carry out that threat. These aren't make-believe issues. There's a lot of risk here for both the employees and the newspaper. Those are the type of conditions under which contracts typically get settled. Preditction: The Guild will get a better deal in the end because they have pushed it this far.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Agreed, Cran.

And PHI, Tierney knew what he was getting into at the beginning. For him to cry poormouth now is bull. McClatchy/KR opened the books.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Certainly more reader-friendly in a lot of ways and definitely preferable from a design perspective. I'm not anti-tab, I just feel like there's a strong temptation to place a lower priority on those pesky words that run between the photos and the headlines. Doesn't have to be that way, but too often it is.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Who said it wasn't bull? Bottom line is 150 people or more will be out of jobs. Stu and the boys' actions will only make it worse.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Stu and the boys' actions will prevent a lot more people from being screwed over.

Draft saved Draft deleted