1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone still watching Friday Night Lights?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 11, 2007.

1. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

I think one of the best characters if Lyla's dad, Buddy Garrity. The guy plays the part of a slime ball car dealer who cars about high school football great. The coach and his wife are so good, too.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Buddy's character is a pretty good representation of how this show actually develops its characters with some room for some gray areas. He's not a major character, yet they've resisted turning him into a completely over-the-top caricature of every booster, and instead is still slimy but you also see a softer side sometimes, and then he can still be a prick about his daughter and Street. With so much crap on tv, it just stands out so much when writers take the time to develop characters and give them some depth.

And I agree on Saracen. I was trying to figure out if he's not really that good of an actor and is just playing himself, but the fact that there's even that doubt tells you how believable he is. Very realistic, very subtle performance.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm still watching it. I also have a feeling the steroid incident and the coach not reporting it is going to bite him in the ass anyway. Smash is going to turn on him sometime, you just know it. More importantly, the way things are going, I hope that as some of the seniors leave, they bring in fresh blood and new story lines.

The one thing I'm starting to quibble with is this: how many quarterbacks out there have the personality of Matt? I can't say I've run across too many hs quarterbacks, and as I've said I've never covered preps, but I always figured the qb's carried themselves with a little more swagger than he does.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

QBs with the talent of a Jason Street? None of them act like Saransen.

Backup QBs who never in their wildest dreams thought they'd be starting a game? Almost all of them act like that kid, unless they're just egomaniacs from birth.

After the first episode, I was convinced this show would be a complete failure. It had every cheap cliche in the book and was all about the football game.

And then I watched episode two, and everything changed. The whole dynamic of the show changed between those two episodes. It went from being a corny, overplayed football show to a meaningful, insightful drama with three-dimensional characters you could actually relate to. If you ever doubt how well this show is being done, ask yourself this: How many times has the high school loner character ever been pulled off accurately? You can count em on one hand, and that Tim kid is one of them. People always think of the "loner" as being the pasty kid in the black coat who never speaks to anyone. But more often than not, he's a semi-popular jock who would just rather drink alone.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely loved the movie and the book.

Haven't had a chance to see the show, but I have heard good things. yes, I know it has nothing to do with the movie or the book.

6. Msaint

Msaint Member

And they're very good about having characters drop little hints about other characters, e.g. when Riggins' Tara Reid-esque slut-with-a-heart-of-gold ex-girlfriend tells the coach's daughter that Buddy Garrity, acc'd to her sister the "dancer", is one of the biggest customers out at the local strip club.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

just thought it was time to bump this up. :D :D :D

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Great show. I hope they can keep it up after the football season inevitably ends.
    But, as it's not really about football at this point, that seems quite possible.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sounds like we get into the race thang tonight.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

<spoiler>

Al Campanis, welcome to deep in the heart of Texas. ;)

</spoiler>

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

And now, introducing Buddy Garrity as Magnum P.I.

Brilliant.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Great episode tonight.
    I loved how young Bo insisted on calling Tim "TimRiggins" all night.

Draft saved Draft deleted