1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know why Yahoo! News suddenly sucks?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Aug 31, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I meant more about the fact that the Yahoo frontpage, which was once a great one-click stop for all of my news needs, now seems to be just about Video and Blogs. I hate both.

2. I've noticed it too. Lately, they do nothing but link to blogs and Oprah-type crap instead of genuine news stories. I hate it myself.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Yahoo has always been a great aggregator, but the front page has sucked ever since they went to that top-center window with the different tabs. I hate how you never know whether it's going to be wire copy, video or a blog until you click on it -- even the URLs that flash across the bottom of your browser when you scroll over the hyperlinks can't tell you decisively.

I think the page design and content accessibility has markedly improved for Yahoo Sports and Fantasy Sports over the last couple of years, but the main page has suffered ever since they went away from the very text-based look they had until the middle part of this decade.

Google is the best for searching, as is Google News, but I don't find their format, etc., to be preferrable for a homepage. IMO Yahoo has much better integration for things like weather, e-mail, etc.

Ultimately I believe Google will always appease the techies and hardcore computer users, whilst Yahoo will cater to the more casual PC owner and internet user. Each has its advantages and its flaws.

4. Reacher

Reacher Member

I have noticed that Yahoo news is loaded with job-finding and education "articles" that dovetail nicely with all the education and job ads.

5. Schiez,

You're not alone. Despite all these sarcastic comments and only a few actually addressing your question, I will answer and must say I agree. Much of what SoCalScribe says is true so I really don't think saying it again will do anything more than repeating his own words.

For me, personally, I used to use Yahoo's front page a lot but it has become frustrating when you click on something and it's nothing more than a 4-paragraph blog by who knows or an ABC video report that appeared on Good Morning America.

I have found that since Yahoo has gone to this style that I use it's main page less and less for real news. I must say, though, that every now and then they have some pretty interesting/unique/unusual stories that I haven't see elsewhere.

Still, I prefer the old Yahoo front page too.

Draft saved Draft deleted