1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here play pitch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you don't, I'm sorry.

I have played for a long time.

Anyway, playing pitch with my father-in-law, grand-father-in-law, and wife's uncle.

10-point.

I get Q-J-High Joker-3.......bid 6.

Get the bid.

Fill up.

Partner (wife's uncle) gets nothing.

I go set.

I show him I mucked KQJ, (and the high joker with it)...and he went ballistic.

"God-dammit.......you had 3 of the first 4!"

:.......Yes....but I only had 1 point, and that wasn't a lock.

Tell me I made the right play.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I do play, and did play tonight, oddly enough. First time in a year.

I'm not sure I understand what happened in your game. You bid six with Q-J-High Joker-3, won the bid ... then mucked KQJ-high joker? I may not understand the term "mucked" as it relates to this discussion.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Only things I pitch are tents and woo.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Pitching Woo?
    Isn't he a Chinese baseball star?

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You had to bid 6 to get it?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

yes.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pitching Woo's great-great grandfather:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love that movie.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"mucked" as in the cards I threw away. My partner asked me what I had in spades, and I laid over the KQJ, and thought he was gonna shit green apples.

10. dmc

dmc Guest

YES! I have played ever since I was a kid. We also call it Set Back. We play for a nickle a point. When you are little its really cool to win a couple bucks like that and stay up until very late. We have always played just up to 4 points though. I did play the other way a couple times, its fun also. I think its the greatest card game in the world and cant wait to carry on the tradition with my grandkids. On my side of the family that is what we do when we get together, always. Lots of fun!

although, reading your post in detail, maybe it is a different game? High, Low, Jack, and Game?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

We occasionally play 5-point (Hi, Lo,Jack, Joker, game) or even 13-point (A,J,J,HiJ,LoJ,10,3,off3,2)

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Your Q-J-High Joker-3 were in something other than spades, then. That makes more sense. In which suit was your bid?

Just going off of what I've read so far, I'd lean toward your partner's position. For me, going with Q-J-High Joker-3 is a bit riskier than K-Q-J as it leaves the ace and king floating out there somewhere. Of course, I only play at family gatherings anymore, so my pitch could be rusty beyond repair.

Draft saved Draft deleted