1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone heard about another buyout at Dallas morn news; Chip Brown to Rivals?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fleaflicker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. standman

standman Member

I can understand not sending somebody to The Open with Tiger out and the dollar being the way it is, it's a good way to save a few bucks. Also football is king and travel costs are going nowhere but up, you have to cut a few corners.

But the all-star game coverage was disappointing considering Hamilton's feats and Michael Young driving in the game winning run.

2. Death

Death Member

An e-mail from Keith and Garry on the switches before football season ...

With the move of Brian Davis to the Cowboys beat and Chip Brown’s departure, we are making some changes to our college coverage lineup and philosophy. Our focus will now be more on analysis and perspective and less on day-to-day beat coverage, even at our biggest schools. We will rely more on wires for routine news and notes while channeling our efforts toward more unique stories. Accordingly, we’re pleased to announce these new roles effective immediately:

Chuck Carlton becomes a college columnist, focusing on the Big 12 and our schools of highest interest. As our lead writer, Chuck will work with Keith Campbell to chart the direction of our coverage.

Kate Hairopoulos moves from SMU to Big 12, working with Chuck to cover the most important stories each week at our biggest schools.

Brandon George moves to colleges/GA, filling Chuck’s previous spot. Brandon will spend the majority of his time during football season as a college contributor. He will be available for more pro beat work and other GA help after Jan. 1.

Bobbi Roquemore moves to the SMU beat from high schools. Although she will help in other college areas, Bobbi will devote the majority of her fall to June Jones’ first season at SMU.

We will also continue to utilize other staffers to supplement our college football coverage, particularly on Saturday games. Our travel schedule should approximate last season’s.

These changes are effective immediately.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Yikes.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

It's a good thing Dave Smith is still alive. Otherwise, he'd be spinning in his grave.
    DMN = suck.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They're going to do drive by coverage of the Big XII but still have a full-time writer devoted to dog-ass SMU? :eek:

Once again, to subscribe to the Startlegram, dial 1-800-776-STAR.

6. I'm not defending or demeaning anyone, but SMU is in Dallas. And tons of SMU alum stay in Dallas after graduation.

I was disappointed to see that Damon Sayles didn't get the move up. He's a great guy and a great writer. Can write basketball stories with the best of 'em.

7. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

The S-Telegram has left the Dallas product in the dust. Saw that Snooze thing in the airport the other day, and thought I'd do well to escape without the E-coli. I can spell "suck" if you spot me the s and the k...Chip Brown was the last writer worth reading. Now that he's gone, you might as well read an Amtrak schedule. The mighty have fallen. Still, word is another of the trademark morn-news scuzbucket-style buyouts is coming. Those people take the cake. The only virtue of the last one is that the papers that did the same like little crummy lemmings did the process far more charitably than The Snooze.

8. Definitely not true.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks for stopping by Chip.

I am surprised by the DMN's full-on coverage of SMU. I don't care that SMU is in Dallas. UT reigns in Texas. A&M is not far behind. Then comes Texas Tech. Then TCU. Then UTEP and Baylor. Then Houston. Then North Texas. Then SMU.

I don't care how many SMU grads live in Dallas, there are far more UT and A&M grads who live in Dallas.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't forget Oklahoma, which probably gives Texas Tech a run for third place.

Meanwhile in Ponyland ...

[​IMG]

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, I didn't even think about the Sooners.

They definitely rank No. 3.

12. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Sorry, forgot Rick Gosselin... He's the last of the Camelot days...The rest are cronies and sellouts, not worth mentioning.

BYW, the product was 6 pages when I went through D-FW Airport the other day. Mayberry lives! Not enough paper there to, well, never mind...

(don't eat the beans!!)

Draft saved Draft deleted