1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone have a Galileo thermometer? Did it ever break?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 12, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wonderful wife's wonderful exercise ball just fell from its wonderful perch atop the wonderful wall unit, sending the wonderful Galileo thermometer next to it falling several wonderful feet to its wonderful death and creating a wonderful mess of glass and wonderful mysterious liquid.

Anyone know what this liquid is made of? Am I a dead man? Cursory web searches have revealed it's probably not mercury, but I'm still freaked. Any help will be much appreciated.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question663.htm

Based on a thermoscope invented by Galileo Galilei in the early 1600s, the thermometer on your co-worker's desk is called a Galileo thermometer. A simple, fairly accurate thermometer, today it is mostly used as decoration. The Galileo thermometer consists of a sealed glass tube that is filled with water and several floating bubbles. The bubbles are glass spheres filled with a colored liquid mixture. This liquid mixture may contain alcohol, or it might simply be water with food coloring.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks mark. I also read something that said the liquid was harmful or fatal if swallowed. Probably not a big deal to me, but I still worry about one of the dopey cats even after mopping the mess up.

Draft saved Draft deleted