1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever use LegalZoom.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressmurphy, Feb 6, 2009.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm probably going to need to form an LLC shortly and am considering doing it through LegalZoom.com.

I'm still going to consult a lawyer to ask some LLC-related questions before I leap, but I think I can save in excess of $1,000 by using LegalZoom to do the actaully filing.

Has anyone run into difficulties going through that route?

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'm curious the benefits of forming an LLC, but that might warrant a different thread...

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Short story is that some web sites I operate are now generating some money, so an LLC helps me report revenue (and expenses) in a more efficient manner on my tax forms.

More importantly, it forms a liability shield to protect personal assets in the evnt I'm hit with a lawsuit for libel, copyright infringement, etc. Although I'm careful, I'm hardly perfekt.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I did use Legal Zoom for a trademark application a few years ago. The process was painless. My only complaint is that if you get halfway through the process and then have a question, it is not easy to contact someone there who can access your "case" and give you specific guidance. If you find yourself in that situation, you may spend a LOT of time answering what may be a pretty simple question.

To create a corporation or an LLC, I think I would rather get my own attorney and use him/her as the guide throughout the processes. Additionally, an attorney you deal with directly may be able to guide you to a good accountant who can help immeasurably with tax filings and what you need to do in order to assure that you and the IRS stay on friendly terms.

Hope that helps...

Draft saved Draft deleted