1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever have to deliver their father's eulogy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Mar 30, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Patchs,

I'm really sorry for your loss. I know I'll be in your position at least a time or two, and I've actually thought about what I'd say for my grandma, mom and dad ... a lot (which is pretty morbid, in my opinion; and I still stretch for ideas on my dad since our relationship isn't that great).

Anyway, I don't think any advice from me will do you any good. But I think as long as you write it with passion and read it like it's his final tribute -- because, in some ways, it is -- clearly, with true emotion, you'll be OK. Be strong for you girls, your wife, your brother and your mom. But especially, be strong for your dad. No one's going to care if you break down, and you shouldn't, either. Just let things come naturally, and I'm sure you'll be more than fine.

Take care of yourself and good luck.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

My condolences, patchs.

My dad is in his late 70s, and I've thought a bit about his eulogy. I'd be perfectly willing to write it, but I wouldn't want to deliver it. Good luck, and sorry for your loss.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My sincere condolences, patchs.

I was just at a funeral this week for one of my best friend's dad.

His sister gave the eulogy, and it was fantastic. Thanked everyone for their support. Told stories about her dad.

Best advice I can give is to make it about your dad. Think about how he would want to be remembered. And speak from the heart.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm tearing up, reading these responses.
    I can't say how much all of your support means to me.
    I was off today but I still went in to put my dad's obit in the paper.
    I do obits every day, I edit them and place them on the page.
    I had to do my dad's.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My one final piece of advice: Let yourself go through all the emotions. If you've got to cry, do it.

And know that you have friends here who will listen and who support you, whatever small comfort that provides.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Damn.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sincere condolences, Patchs. You're one of the best people here.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You know I've got your back.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let me tell you, it got a little dusty in here reading this.

You're one of the good ones, patchs. You'll do your Dad proud.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, and add to the chorus of condolences to your family.

I wrote my father's eulogy at my mother's request, but she wouldn't let me actually read it at the funeral. Instead, it got handed over to a rent-a-rabbi. I would've liked to try to speak, if only because I know how proud my father was of my writing.

Don't think too much about what you're writing. The words will be right. As for actually standing up at the funeral, remember you don't have to be strong all the time. Just this once, let everyone else be there to support you.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm going to sleep soon so I'll say good night with another round of gratitude for all of your help and kind words.
    God bless all of you.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Times like this bring out the best in SJ.

Patchs, my deepest condolences on your loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted