1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever had whiplash?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 14, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Some of you know I've just returned from the Army's Basic Airborne course and earned the Army's parachutist badge.

That's where my question comes in.

Four of my five qualifying jumps ended smoothly and rather softly -- I performed the landings as instructed.

But on my third, I wound up drifting in backward, and instead of landing like the instructors teach, I landed feet, ass, head ... in that order. Hard. Very. Fucking. Hard.

My neck snapped like a dry oak twig. I saw some pretty intense colors -- not the brightest of which was a blue South Georgia sky -- and my head hurt for about an hour. That was on Sunday, and my neck muscles are still pretty damned sore. Even the slightest movement hurts like hell.

Anyone ever had whiplash or have any clue what it feels like?

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I thought I've never had whiplash, but my personal injury attorney convinced me otherwise.

3. three_bags_full

That's probably not an option for me. :(

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the distinction would be between whiplash and any other neck injury. I had a mild muscle tear from a car accident a few years back. One recommendation. Make sure you use a headset at work. My neck pain lingered for months until I got one and I was feeling better within a week.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I believe that many, many people have had whiplash.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I had whiplash last week when a drunk hit me head on.

The wife and I just picked up some DVDs and tacos, and a drunk weaved in and out of our lane, I wasn't able to avoid the asswhipe and I got knocked the fuck out.

I got whiplash and had a bad fucking headache for a week. Now I'm just pissed because the dickweed took off and now I'm shelling out the deductible for my ambulance ride, hospital stay and a new bumper.

I do feel good knowing that my Ford truck really fucked up that little shitty compact car.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What was it Fred G. Sanford once said? "Whiplash rhymes with get cash."

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

3BF, congratulations on your rating. Well deserved especially having to survive jumping out of an airplane 5 times!

As I understand it, whiplash involves damage to the ligaments that hold the vertebrae in the neck stable. They are the bands of tissue running the length of your neck on the front and back of the bones that connect all 7 cervical bones to allow them to work as a unit and protect the spinal cord. When the ligaments stretch or tear, the body's reactiopn is similar to other places where that occurs (think ankle sprain). There is swelling and muscle spasm surrounding the injury site and the treatment ends up being immobilization, ice and elevation and anti-inflammatories.

In the neck, the major muscle stabilizers are the trapezius and sternomastoid muscles. They will tend to go into spasm to hold the neck steady and this can cause significant pain with any movement. Unfortunately, as opposed to other parts of the body that can be rested, it is hard to take your head of your shoulders, so those muscles continue to work. This leads to longer recovery times and more pain.

Good luck.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Playing high school football, I got my helmet a little too far down and got walloped.

I thought I had broken my neck as I lie motionless looking straight up into the cloudless sky.

It was on fire, an indescribable sensation to someone who hasn't experienced it.

As it turned out, it was severly pinched nerve.... "a burner"

Ever since then, my neck tends to get stiff, and the only way I can loosen it is with a forced tilt to the right and then the left, unleashing a near-symphonic fusillade of cracking sounds.

Disgusting, but that's the only way I can get through life.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Congrats on surviving the course and earning the badge.

As for the whiplash, I can't help you on that one. I'm not the doctor in the family. Just curious, have you talked to any medical professionals on post? If you haven't you really should.

11. three_bags_full

Nah, I'm back home now. It's not unbearable. Just the large muscles on the sides of my neck are pretty sore. After reading Doctalk's explaination, I don't think I have anything seriously wrong.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I think thousands of attorneys would disagree. And while you may not have amajor disaster, it doesn't mean that you don't hurt. Those are two separate issues, and there is no trophy at the end of the day for suffering. Hie thee to a physician.

On a related note, while I have the greatest respect for the work chiroprators do, please do not let them close to neck manipulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted