1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Ever Done A Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, Mrs. Incaviglia and I are about three weeks away from our firstborn child.

I want to do a time capsule that I'm sure he or she won't appreciate when they turn 18 and I give it to them, but whatever.

I'm putting in that day's local paper (in which hopefully I have piece), a couple major daily papers, the No. 1 CD that day, the No. 1 book on the NYT Best Seller List, a photo from the hospital, a photo of the price of gas at a local pump and, well, I'm not sure what else.

Any ideas?

Anyone ever done this - for this reason, or in school, or for any other reason?

What did you include?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I actually did this for school -- though I could just be remembering old episodes of Full House and Saved By The Bell. And since I don't remember what I added, that's probably a likely scenario.

I think it'd be cool to add a picture of you and your wife from that year -- maybe even at the hospital. Whenever I see old pictures of my parents, I think there's no way it's them. Maybe a picture of your house or apartment so you can say, "This is your first house" or "Look at how nice that fence used to look before your friends started pissing on it six years ago." I know my parents wish they had some proof.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think Mike ought to have done a time capsule from the last time he got laid. The next time he does, look at all the shit that's happened since then!

More seriously, I only remember doing a time capsule when I was in elementary school. However, little things like Christmas ornaments bought or made at a certain time can trigger memories in a similar vein to a time capsule. I still have a Christmas sled I made in fourth grade. Every time I see it, I can visualize gluing those popsicle sticks together.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

On the main forum page, all I could see of the thread title was "Anyone Ever Done A T" ... I'll leave it to Zeke to fill you in on what I thought it was going to say.

Anyway, never done one before, but perhaps you could add some tuna fish. Kid'll probably be a pain in the ass anyway and he or she will surely deserve for something they did wrong in the 18 years after their birth. :D

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think we did one in elementary school, but I really don't remember it. I think it would be cool to do one though.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure we did one in elementary school, too. Maybe I should go digging around the next time I visit the family.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Pictures of the area in which you live, or area that hasn't been developed yet is a pretty interesting thing to look back on. It's amazing how much can change over the course of just a few years, not to mention 18.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

"What's a floppy disk?"

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's fantastic. A little sidebar, here (as Sarah Chalke makes her appearance on Roseanne): I went to dinner with a friend of mine on Saturday, and while at Friendly's, I was talking about the original Oregon Trail. She's 20 and had no idea what a floppy disc was, so I had to draw one on a napkin. I felt ancient.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You have no idea how disappointed I am in the end to that story.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sorry. I'll try to do better next time.

12. Put in pictures of Britney and Amy Crackhouse.

I'm thinking the response from your child will be, "I recognize the First Lady, but who's the other one?

Draft saved Draft deleted