1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever covered a standoff?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ccraker, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Just got a call from my executive editor that I am needed at a standoff that has three deputies dead. I've never done anything like this anyone have any advice?

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

don't post here, get out there!

when you get there, find out who is in charge because they might be able to give you some updates. Bring a cellphone if you don't have one. See if you can get a - SAFE - vantage point and watch where the standoff happens.

What you see with your eyes could make up the majority of the story. Good luck and be safe.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Absolutely. Get the fuck out of here. Now.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

(And why is it that I can only think of Airheads?)

4. I have plenty of advice but if he's still sitting around waiting on it, it's not going to do him any good.

5. ccraker

ccraker Guest

i am at the scene along with a couple other newsies. post advice and i will check back. 1 deputy dead. 2 seriously injured.

6. Get as much first-person detail as you can - witnesses, cops, whoever. Talk to everybody you see. Even if you don't have room for it tonight, it will be essential in a follow. Timeline information is very important.

Make sure someone is at the hospital talking to the family and friends holding vigil ...

Carry a scanner or be near someone who has one. There'll be info on there you can ask the IC about later. You're probably very far away from the scene so it will also help you know when it's over - though you're not going to hear what SWAT is saying.

7. Try to get the name of the dead deputy as soon as you can ... even if you don't get it through an official source it'll help get background on the cop. Find out from neighbors as much as you can about the suspect. Have they had a lot of cop calls there before? Lots of guns? Drunk? Domestic?

8. Are there hostages? Were there hostages? Find anyone you can who was in that house tonight.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you're at the scene and still checking and posting on SportsJournalists.com?

10. at least he's not posting on the running college football thread ...

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, take a big gun.

12. Any news?

Draft saved Draft deleted