1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else tired of "lack of respect" quotes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, Jan 6, 2009.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Saw a Texas player after tonight's Fiesta Bowl win over Ohio State saying "nobody believed we could do it" and "all year, people doubted us" (or something along those lines).

Really? Nobody thought the No. 4 team in the country could beat the No. 10 team? Nobody thought one of the best QBs in the country could lead one of the best offenses in the country to a comeback win?

This crap has become prevalent even at the HS level. I can interview a player from the third-ranked basketball team in the state after they beat some small-school team 85-37 in a holiday tourney, and they'll talk about how they're trying to earn respect and how nobody thinks they can win state. I want to reply, "Actually, I'm surprised you didn't win this game by a hundred."

No big deal, just a pet peeve of mine. I wish people would cease to run these dumb quotes unless they actually have some merit, like if it's a huge upset.

2. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I'm tired of hearing it as well. Whiny bullshit, especially at the HS level. I won't even write it down when I get an earful from a player or coach.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The words "lack of respect" are fairly new, but it's been around forever. Used to be "nobody gave us a chance."

It's prevalent because coaches play it up big, knowing it connects with players.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

[​IMG]

(dammit ... how do you insert a picture of Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice?)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I never expected this thread to get to five posts.

6. accguy

accguy Member

Here's what I do when I hear that stuff: I don't write anything down in my notebook. I don't transcribe the words off my tape. I stand there and listen and don't write it down.

Now if it is really a big upset -- perhaps like Utah beating Alabama or something like that -- I would consider using it. But that is it.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Smasher on target as usual. the question should be, Can we find a coach -- anywhere -- who doesn't use the "us against the world (especially the media)" motivating technique? I haven't come across one yet.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I find the dead are always complaining about this lack of respect. </crossthread>

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm so damn sick and tired of this that my eyes glass over whenever someone says something along these lines. The opinion of others shouldn't be what motivates one the most.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Nobody believed we could do it" and "all year, people doubted us" (or something along those lines).

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just tell them "I can't believe my editor sent me to watch you guys play garbage ball and squeak by with a win."

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If the guy (or woman) said it, it's up to you whether you choose to use it or not based on the context.

No. 4 team in the country beating the No. 10 team? You could either not use the quote or bury it somewhere toward the end. Podunk College beating the No. 1 team on the road? Use it up high.

It does seem to be a cliché, but we get a lot of those from athletes and coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted