1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else see "The Fighter?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ringer, Dec 19, 2010.

1. billikens

billikens Member

I thought it was fantastic. I've seen more movies at the theatre this year than probably all other years combined, and if I had a vote, this would be my best picture. I don't know if I'd lay money on it winning the Oscar, but I'd it's a lock for a nomination, and should be among the top 3, which gives it a chance to win.

I thought Bale was exceptional and should be the front runner for Best Supporting Actor. And I thought Wahlberg did an excellent job of playing a reigned-in character surrounded by outspoken or outlandish relatives/girlfriend. As for Amy Adams, I still remember watching the commentary on one of the episodes of the Office where they talk about writing her off the show like one week before she was nominated for an Oscar for Junebug. This looks like it's her year to win.

And those sisters....yikes.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Conan O'Brien's sister played one of the sisters. She looks just like him. One of the sisters looks like a tall person with a midget face.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Man, some of those errors are just plain lazy.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It does make you wonder why they would take great lengths to make some things dramatic when the real thing was dramatic in itself

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Those aren't errors. It's a movie, not a documentary.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Meh. Not getting the guy's record right is pretty damn lazy regardless of the "based on a true story" concept.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The record is the only thing worthy of questioning. The rest is dramatic license.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this reported anywhere else, but last night on Friday Night Fights, Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas said Micky's mother, Alice, died recently.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/more_names/blog/2011/01/_lowell-bred_brawler_micky_war.html

10. He's JR, arbiter to taste and all that is worthwhile, and if you don't believe, just ask him.
    He's also the winner of Mr. Insufferable six years running

Draft saved Draft deleted