1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else see "The Fighter?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ringer, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Bale and Leo were great - but I fail to see how it's the best sports movie of the decade (as anointed by SI)... or even better than "Million Dollar Baby."

Anyone else?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but it was still pretty damn good.

Everyone has been raving about Bale's performance -- and it was really good -- but Amy Adams stole the show, I think.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

Fair enough.
    Have you seen "127 Hours?" THAT is a crazy-good movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's a movie thread, guys. :)

Great blog in Esquire by The Jones on golfing with Ward and Arturo Gotti

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/chris-jones/micky-ward-arturo-gatti-121710

This paragraph made my day:

I was the last to hit. I'm not a good golfer, but for some reason, even with that gangster audience, I stroked a four-iron as well as I have ever hit one, long and straight down the middle. Overcome with relief, I made one of the great mistakes of my life. I looked at the army of legbreakers and world champions around me and, for reasons that I've never been able to explain, lifted my arms into the air and said: "Take that, bitches."

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I covered many of Micky's fights in the latter half of his career (including two of the three fights with Arturo Gatti) and there were so many little mistakes in the movie I had a hard time enjoying it.
    A lot of them had to do with the timeline of the story and when things happened. I don't want to give out any spoilers, so that's all I'll say for now.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was disappointed that the movie stopped before the Gatti fights, since that's what really made him legendary to a lot of people who aren't huge boxing people.

But it was a really good movie.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ward said the movie was damn-near spot on. You're always going to have a few things that don't match up.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has Amy Adams ever been bad in a movie?

I would hesitate to call her underrated, but I'm surprised she's not considered A-list the way Reese Witherspoon and Julie Roberts are.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like Amy Adams, but she was in an awful rom-com called 'Leap Year' and she was in 'Cruel Intentions 2.'
    Those are two bad movies that I know of.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Was the mother as awful in real life as she was portrayed in the movie?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't see Leap Year and I'm guessing Cruel Intentions 2 was before she broke out in Junebug.

Draft saved Draft deleted